Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: WER on Linux

WER on Linux

May 21, 2014 07:04:08 AM

Niels Viaene
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

WER on Linux

Does anyone know if and how I can get Wer to run on Linux (ubuntu). Having a hard time finding anything online. If no one knows I'll see if I can WINE it…

May 21, 2014 07:37:02 AM

Jose Miguel Sanchez Navarro
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Iberia

WER on Linux

I tried to run with wer but not was a great experience, let me know if
you get

El 21/05/2014 14:05, Niels Viaene escribió:

May 21, 2014 07:40:31 AM

Nicola DiPasquale
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

WER on Linux

The only supported platform for WER is Windows.

May 21, 2014 08:02:26 AM

Francois Grossi
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

France

WER on Linux

I tried six months ago to “Wine it” without success. I bought a new laptop in the meantime.
But I am eager to see this working on Linux !

May 21, 2014 08:30:40 AM

Andrea Mondani
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

Italy and Malta

WER on Linux

Have you tried running a virtual machine on top of your linux distro?

May 21, 2014 09:07:46 AM

Niels Viaene
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

WER on Linux

It's an old poor little laptop. Even WINE is a burden I am afraid running a full virtual box in it will be way too heavy… but we'll see…

May 21, 2014 11:39:11 AM

Matt Braddock
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

USA - Midatlantic

WER on Linux

I recently tried with WINE, but it was no success, no matter how hard I tried. I even went to the WINE forums (here), but never got a reply.

June 4, 2014 02:32:05 PM

Johannes Kühnel
Tournament Organizer

German-speaking countries

WER on Linux

I don't know how you feel, but I think it's a confession of failure, if you force your tournament providers to buy a Windows licence and restrict them like that. It's similar to the MODO situation and I truly believe Wizards has yet to understand the benefits of getting REAL software developers or completely outsource software development to capable companies.

You want your shops to run as many tournaments as possible? Then give them easy and accessible tools. You want players to play the game and buy products? Give them the means to do so while enjoying hassle-free software.

It's 2014 and there is still no official tablet or smartphone support in terms of tournament management (let alone a MODO client).

/rant -.-

July 22, 2014 05:54:33 AM

Miquel Àngel Moya

Iberia

WER on Linux

I use Mac and I have a VirtualBox virtual machine installed exclusively for WER. It works pretty well aside from the usual printer problems (connecting/disconnecting the printer from VirtualBox is always a hassle).

I'm looking forward for a multiplatform version, but being a developer myself and knowing that WER is written in .NET I don't expect this soon. A web version would be nice, however.

Also, now that I mention it, has anyone tried running WER using a Mono Framework? It's advertised as a “full .NET compatibility layer for Windows, Linux and Mac”, so it may work.

Aug. 7, 2015 06:31:13 PM

Fran Aguilera Barranco
Judge (Uncertified)

Iberia

WER on Linux

Miky, I tried with Mono a long time ago, but with any success. Perhaps now that Microsoft has opened part of .NET and VisualStudio we could run it soon on Linux or Mac.

Regards.

Edited Fran Aguilera Barranco (Aug. 7, 2015 06:47:21 PM)

Aug. 13, 2015 12:27:33 PM

Gordon Lugauer

USA - North

WER on Linux

I have an ongoing project using Crossover to run WER on Linux and Mac. It works, but the installation is a touch wonky. I'm working on the auto-installer currently, and it should be ready soon. End of August. I'll post an update when it is ready.

-G

Jan. 11, 2016 04:36:40 AM

Iberia

WER on Linux

Originally posted by Gordon Lugauer:

I have an ongoing project using Crossover to run WER on Linux and Mac. It works, but the installation is a touch wonky. I'm working on the auto-installer currently, and it should be ready soon. End of August. I'll post an update when it is ready.

-G

Did you win where we failed?

Jan. 12, 2016 12:43:51 AM

Gordon Lugauer

USA - North

WER on Linux

For context: this all refers to running WER on Linux/Mac using the commercial Crossover software, which is a commercialized version of Wine. Crossover is not free, but it is not expensive. I would not have been able to figure out the following merely using Wine, and I have found Crossover to be well worth it.

tl;dr: visit https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/wizards-event-reporter in a couple of days. I've submitted the auto-installer (CrossTie) for approval, but it is not approved as of this writing.

Thanks for the ping. It prodded me into figuring out that last problem that was causing the automated install to fail. I've just submitted the final CrossTie to the Codeweavers folk, and hopefully it will be approved soon.

If you want install it yourself using the unapproved CrossTie, you can download it from http://Knizia.BoardGameBarrister.com/images/WER.tie.

You can install this downloaded Tie from the command line on Crossover Linux like this:

http://knizia.boardgamebarrister.com/images/WER.tie

You can install the CrossTie on Mac simply by double-clickin the file, or right-click + open.

WER might give an error (“Cannot write to C:\…\Reporter”) after running the updater. This doesn't appear to actually be a real error, as the update applies correctly in my tests. I just quit that instance of WER and start a new one.

The key steps are that you first create a Windows XP bottle and load these components:
Lucida Console (do this first)
Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5sp1 (it appears that you A: need precisely this version, B: it must be installed first, C: you must install only this version)
Platform SDK Redistributable GDI+
Microsoft Jet 4.0 SP8
MDAC 2.8sp1

These are all Windows-licensed files, so you should have a valid copy of Windows (unsure if version matters, but I have a licensed copy of XP for each Linux machine that I'm running this on).

The real tricky part is getting a copy of the Lucida Console font. WER hard-encodes (using spaces) the formatting of their printed templates for pairings, result slips, and the like. The only print properly using Lucida Console (trust me, I did a lot of searching for alternate fonts before I saw what was happening with the formatting). Finding a freely-licensed version of this font was surprisingly difficult, but there is a serviceable one from FFonts.net. You *must* have a Lucida Console (preferably as lucon.ttf) in whatever font path WER will see when it is run for the very first time. If it doesn't find Lucida Console, it will make a font substitution - and it will hard-code that substitution such that you cannot change it again without reinstalling WER entirely. Just amazing. So, you need to get a legit copy of Ludica Console and put it in place before running WER at all.

This is really fairly straightforward once you get the steps down. Figuring out those steps… was tedious.

I think these instructions should be easy enough for a reasonably-technical person to follow to install by hand. For a non-technical person - or if you merely want to have an easy install - just use the CrossTie.

If you use this and find it useful, give it a review on the Codeweavers site and drop me a line here. If you have trouble, I'll do my best to assist.

The big fear: Wizards pushes out an update that breaks this badly, perhaps in some unfixable way. I've been able to fix any update that broke something fairly quickly thus far (it's happened twice in the almost-3-years I've been running this, and not recently), but someday… boom. I just know it.

Thanks!

-G

Jan. 13, 2016 11:18:22 AM

Markus Dietrich
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

WER on Linux

Really, really, really big thanks for your work on this!

Jan. 20, 2016 02:37:45 AM

Iberia

WER on Linux

Thanks for your hard work!!!