Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: I Heard You Like Triggers - SILVER

I Heard You Like Triggers - SILVER

Sept. 17, 2014 02:52:48 PM

Joshua Feingold
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Welcome, judges, to another installment of the Knowledge Pool. This week's scenario was inspired by Sean Hunt. It's Silver level, so L2+ judges should hold their input until Friday. L1s and uncertified judges should feel free to respond right away.

Here's your scenario and the blog post!

Arthur and Nadia are playing in a Standard GPT.

Arthur attacks Nadia with a non-Monstrous Polis Crusher. Nadia blocks with a Brimaz, King of Oreskos enchanted by Gift of Immortality and makes a Cat Soldier token. During the Combat Damage step, both non-token creatures are destroyed, then Brimaz is returned to the battlefield when Gift of Immortality's trigger resolves. After combat, Arthur passes the turn.

Nadia then begins her turn by untapping and drawing. Nadia declares Brimaz as an attacker, then puts another Cat Soldier onto the battlefield. At this point she realizes that she never got Gift of Immortality back from the graveyard at the end of Arthur's turn and calls you to the table.

What do you do?

Sept. 17, 2014 03:03:41 PM

Markus Dietrich
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

This is a delayed trigger created by the first trigger of the Gifts. Therefore this is GPE-MT without a Warning, because the effect is not detrimental for Nadia. This is a delayed trigger which changes the zone of an object. For those triggers the opponent (in this case Arthur) decides whether the trigger is resolved either during the next time a player would recieve priority or the beginning of the next phase.

Sept. 17, 2014 04:15:44 PM

Marc DeArmond
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northwest

While some may want this to be a missed trigger to bad so sad, it is a missed delayed zone change trigger. The trigger was acted upon when Brimaz was returned to the battlefield so it was not missed. The delayed portion of the trigger was missed. This is a GPE - MT without a warning. Arthur may chose to resolve the trigger as soon as a player gains priority or at the beginning of the next phase.

Sept. 17, 2014 08:00:08 PM

Victor Hugo Souza

Brazil

Nadia forgot the delayed trigger created by Gift of Immortality. This is GPT - MT, as it is not detrimental for Nadia, she did not get a Warning. The triggered ability is a delayed triggered ability that changes the zone of an object. In this case the trigger needs to be solved, therefore Arthur chooses whether to resolve the ability the next time a player would get priority or at the start of the next phase.

Sept. 17, 2014 10:09:46 PM

Daniel Chew
Judge (Level 1 (International Judge Program))

Southeast Asia

I would say it is a delayed trigger and also a GPE - MT. No warning and it feels so much like the scenario with Obzedat, Ghost Council where you can let your opponent resolve the trigger now or the beginning of the next phase.

Since Nadia is already in the combat phase, am I correct if Arthur chose to have it return at the beginning of the next phase, and Brimaz got blocked by Arthur's creature during the combat step and it is dealt lethal damage, the creature is considered dead?

Sept. 17, 2014 10:14:47 PM

Eli Meyer

USA - Northeast

Without reading other answers:

This is a missed trigger. However, it's a missed delayed trigger that changes a card's zone. This is a specific exception called out in the IPG, so our fix is:

If the triggered ability is a delayed triggered ability that changes the zone of an object, resolve it. For these two types of abilities, the opponent chooses whether to resolve the ability the next time a player would get priority or when a player would get priority at the start of the next phase.

So, Arthur can chose whether to resolve the ability immediately or in Nadia's second main phase.

Since it's a missed trigger, and it's clearly not detrimental, no warnings.

Sept. 17, 2014 10:20:22 PM

Tim Maness
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

This is a delayed zone change trigger; Arthur chooses whether Nadia's Gift trigger goes on the stack now or at the beginning of the next step or phase. As this trigger is “not usually detrimental,” there is no warning or penalty for either player; caution both players to please play more carefully.

Sept. 18, 2014 05:51:06 AM

Gilles Demarle

France

This is a GPE - Missed Trigger. It's not detrimental so Nadia doesn't get a warning.
The delayed effect must be resolved as it changes an object to another zone so Arthur can choose if the trigger goes in the stack at the next priority change or at the first time a player would have the priority at the beginning of the next phase.

As it's a trigger controlled by his opponent, Arthur doesn't get a warning for FtMGS.

Edited Gilles Demarle (Sept. 18, 2014 05:52:54 AM)

Sept. 18, 2014 07:53:03 AM

Antonio Zanutto
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper, GP Team-Lead-in-Training

Brazil

Very interesting scenario, should I go with GPE - MT to Nadia without a warning or GPE - GRV to Nadia and GPE - FTMGS to Arthur?
The argument for the latter is the following: Gift of Immortality tells us to do a series of things. One of them is to return the creature card to the battlefield and the other is to attach Gift to that creature at the beginning of the end step. They are all part of the same effect.
Nadia failed to follow the instructions on the card and Arthur let this go.
I'd give a warning to both players, GPE - GRV to Nadia and GPE - FTMGS to Arthur, remind them to be more careful and ask the permission of the Head Judge to back up the game to Arthur's end step.
I believe that, at that point, not much information was gained and not much has happened, so the game is simple enough that a back up would not disrupt the course of the game.
To back up, undo Brimaz as attacking, take the Meow token just created, return a card at random from Nadia's hand to the top of her library, undo the untapping and we are back at Arthur's end step.

Sept. 18, 2014 08:29:08 AM

Gilles Demarle

France

The gift of immortality creates a delayed trigger and you have to resolve a delayed trigger no matter what (if it doesn't have a time limitation) as written in the IPG and put it in the stack either on the next time a player would gain priority or the first time a player would gain priority at the beginning of the next phase (the choice is for the opponent of the trigger's controller).

GRV is only suitable if the IPG doesn't cover the GPE, it's not the case here as it's clearly as MT so you can't rule a GRV.
And you can never give a warning to a player for FtMGS if the GPE is a missed trigger from an opponent.

Sept. 18, 2014 08:36:25 AM

Antonio Zanutto
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper, GP Team-Lead-in-Training

Brazil

Gilles, but is it a Missed Trigger?
Gift of Immortality sets 2 actions to be made and one of them was followed; she put the creature on the battlefield, however the other was not.
It reminds me of people tapping the Desecration Demon but forgetting to put the +1/+1 counter, is that a missed trigger? Or the person just didn't follow the steps on the card?

Sept. 18, 2014 08:50:07 AM

Gilles Demarle

France

To me, the gift of Immortaliy has 2 triggers

One that says “ when enchanted creature dies, put it from the graveyard to the battlefield” that is immediat, and one that says “at the beginning of the next end step, put gift of immortality etc”. that is delayed.

Nadia correctly resolved the first trigger but missed to resolve the second one, so to me it's missed trigger.
To me, the Geist of St Graft exemple in the “missed trigger” section of the IPG is the same as this one (except that the missed trigger of the geist is really not detrimental). One trigger from a “When…” and a delayed trigger “at the beginning of the next end step”.

The exemple of desacration demon is not a missed trigger, it's a bad resolution of a trigger (i would say it's a GPE - GRV, but it's definitly not a missed trigger) as it has only 1 trigger that says “tap the demon and put a +1/+1 counter on it”

Edited Gilles Demarle (Sept. 18, 2014 09:15:03 AM)

Sept. 18, 2014 11:11:02 AM

Achim Unland
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

The way I see it:
Nadia has committed a 2.1 Game Play Error — Missed Trigger.
Since the missed trigger was a delayed zone change effect, Arthur may choose to let the delayed trigger of Gift of Immortality resolve immediately (i.e. the next time a player would receive priority) or alternatively at the start of the post-combat main phase (he will likely choose the main phase).
Nadia receives no warning since this trigger is not considered detrimental but will be reminded to play more carefully. Arthur doesn't receive any penalty as he is not required to point out his opponent's missed triggers.

Edited Achim Unland (Sept. 18, 2014 11:13:19 AM)

Sept. 19, 2014 12:44:38 AM

Michael Warme
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

It's a GPE-MT. However, no warning as it's non-detrimental, and it'll be Arthur's choice whether to put it on the stack next phase or next priority as this was a zone-change delayed trigger.

Sept. 19, 2014 03:44:31 PM

Vincent Roscioli
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Antonio Zanutto:

Gilles, but is it a Missed Trigger?
Gift of Immortality sets 2 actions to be made and one of them was followed; she put the creature on the battlefield, however the other was not.

Part of what Gift of Immortality does is set up a delayed triggered ability. All that the resolution of the Gift's triggered ability requires is that this (invisible!) delayed triggered ability is created; nothing more. That delayed triggered ability, like any other triggered ability, can be missed. What does the IPG tell us to do about missed triggers, and in particular about certain kinds of delayed triggered abilities, when missed?