Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: JudgeApps's outdated Judge Levels

JudgeApps's outdated Judge Levels

Feb. 26, 2015 10:14:24 AM

Nicolau Maldonado
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Brazil

I recently updated the brazillian judges mailling list for and encountered a problem. The judge level is automatically updated in Judge Center when it expires, but that doesn't happen with JudgeApps.

Cross-reference made possible to know who's level is outdated in Apps, and if it needs to be manually reajusted we can do that now, but that is a problem that tends to reoccur in the future, as long as Apps doesn't keep track of this itself. Is this issue being adressed or is it something we'll just have to live with?

Feb. 26, 2015 10:28:11 AM

Brian Schenck
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

I would not take the information in the Judge Center at immediate face value.

It is important to understand that the Judge Center uses information from another database, and that information is ONLY refreshed when a person logs into the Judge Center. If a person has not logged into the Judge Center in a while, then the information shown in the Judge Center may not reflect the actual information in the membership database. This is particularly telling with new Level 1 judges, who may not have logged in since their advancement review was entered and so it shows the person as “DCI Level: 0” even though it should show “DCI Level: 1” to reflect the membership database. But it can also be true if an active judge hasn't logged into the Judge Center in a while and synced that information to show that it is up to date.

If necessary, I can perform a manual refresh to verify information such as the person's current level (to check if it truly expired). But you need to submit feedback and provide the person's DCI# (a name will not suffice).

Feb. 26, 2015 12:05:51 PM

Nicolau Maldonado

Brazil

I do have their DCI#, and will forward to you. Thanks for the clarification.

However, some of the issue will ramain, considering that if a judge actually lost their level (therefore judgecenter shows “DCI Level: 0” correctly), JudgeApps will not update it by itself, right?

Feb. 26, 2015 01:08:18 PM

Jack Doyle
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Nicolau appears to be talking about JudgeApps, not about DCIX.

Apps requires a manual update, normally by the judge who writes the certification review (or, it requires for judges to apply to JudgeApps as Level X in the first place). It should become a part of the normal paperwork to also update a JudgeApps level in addition to the interview-type review.

If the certifying judge does not do this, people with incorrect levels can contact their RC to have this fixed.

Edited Jack Doyle (Feb. 26, 2015 01:08:52 PM)

Feb. 26, 2015 01:31:44 PM

Nicolau Maldonado

Brazil

Oh, it most certainly is part of the paperwork.

My concern is: If a judge loses his level on Center/DCIX (I'm assuming that's the database that feeds Judge Center?), say an L1 becomes L0 because of inativity, Judge Apps, because it's manual, will still display L1.

Because staff applications use this (and other processes may aswell, I don't know), it's bad that Apps has a judge under an incorrect level.

When a level changes on Center it won't change on Apps unless it's done manually. My question is: if an L1 becomes an L0, will he be displayed as L1 on Apps until someone corrects it?

Sorry for not making myself clear.

Edited Nicolau Maldonado (Feb. 26, 2015 01:33:10 PM)

Feb. 26, 2015 01:32:46 PM

Jack Doyle
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

I believe that judge will stay that level unless otherwise modified. Again - RCs should be the point of contact for this :)

Feb. 26, 2015 01:37:13 PM

Nicolau Maldonado

Brazil

That feels so unpractical :(
I'm not even talking about a specific case here, just wanted to know if this level changing process on Apps could be improved so we wouldn't have level discrepancies on Center and Apps for deleveling.

Thanks, my questions have been answered.

Feb. 26, 2015 01:56:24 PM

Andrew Heckt
Judge (Uncertified)

Italy and Malta

Yes, JudgeApps has no direct connectivity to WotC’s data; nor can/will it.

Andy

Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:32 AM
To: Heckt, Andy
Subject: Re: JudgeApps's outdated Judge Levels (Judging Technology)

Oh, it most certainly is part of the paperwork.

My concern is: If a judge loses his level on Center/DCIX (I'm assuming that's the database that feeds Judge Center?), say a L1 becomes an L0 because of inativity, Judge Apps, because it's manual, will still display L1.

Because staff applications use this (and other processes may aswell, I don't know), it's bad that Apps has a judge under an incorrect level.

When a level changes on Center it won't change in Apps unless it's done manually. My question is: if an L1 becomes an L0, will he be displayed as L1 on Apps until someone corrects it?

Sorry for not making myself clear.

——————————————————————————–
If you want to respond to this thread, simply reply to this email. Or view and respond to this message on the web at http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/post/106081/

Disable all notifications for this topic: http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/noemail/16512/
Receive on-site notifications only for this topic: http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/noemail/16512/?onsite=yes

You can change your email notification settings at http://apps.magicjudges.org/notifications/settings/

Feb. 27, 2015 01:36:32 AM

William Anderson
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

I think the best current fix is to make a list of judges that have outdated levels. Check their judge center page to see if you can find any indication as to whether they've recently tested for the next level (recently passed exams probably mean the didn't just expire). Then message your RC the links to the judge apps pages you believe to be out of date. If they check and this appears to be the case, they'll update it.

Note that RC's are often very busy, so this process is unlikely to happen overnight.