Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: Standby - how to list them after the event

Standby - how to list them after the event

April 7, 2015 12:37:27 PM

Even Lindell Heggø
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

How should I list Standby judges after an event, here on Judge Apps? If they were activated, do you keep them as “Standby”, or change it to “Floor Judge” on the event? If they were not activated, do you keep them as Standby, or delete them from the event?

Right now, I think I'll change them to FJ if they get activated. Unsure what to do if they aren't.

April 7, 2015 03:07:37 PM

Jason Lemahieu
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

USA - North

My suggestion has always been to turn them to Floor Judge if they're activated, and leave them as Standby if not. I wouldn't delete them from the event, mostly just to let them continue to access the event forum.

Maybe they remember reading something in an event forum that they want to revisit, or maybe they don't want to miss out the forum post that comes in on Sunday night of: “We're all partying in the hotel lobby! Bring Lands!!”

April 7, 2015 05:38:21 PM

Evan Cherry
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

I'm a huge proponent of using JudgeApps to track activity. Like an online Judge CV or “Judge LinkedIn.” As such, I can put in application cover letters “a full history of my Competitive & Professional REL experience is available on my JudgeApps profile.”

It's a really useful feature for estimating how much experience and activity someone has. I encourage all people everywhere to record their events (great or small) in JudgeApps.

If your person was a standby, they should be recorded as a standby for credit. It showed initiative and communication. If they became a floor judge, they should get credit as a floor judge.

April 7, 2015 05:45:23 PM

Gareth Pye
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Ringwood, Australia

I'd love for there to be a few more staff statuses, as the
standby->floor shows something more than just ‘floor’. At least for a
judge who had to travel to standby.

April 7, 2015 05:50:37 PM

Nick Rutkowski
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

Also it requires the judge manager to go back into judge apps after the event if they pulled people on staff to update their event. I know I've been pulled on staff for an event and didn't get credit on judge apps for it. not to be mistaken for comp. I was compensated. :)

April 8, 2015 08:41:40 AM

Even Lindell Heggø
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

I'd also like some additional roles I can assign to judges during / after the event, such as:
  • Floor Judge (standby)
  • Not activated (standby)

Going back during / after the event to update is a small task, and very much worth it in order to give credit where it is due.

April 8, 2015 02:45:43 PM

Paul Baranay
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry)), Grand Prix Head Judge

USA - Northeast

I don't particularly see the purpose of distinguishing floor judges who were accepted in the first wave against those who were activated via standby. While some judges are happy to be offered standby, others can feel very let down that they weren't in the first wave. Leaving judges “tagged” as standby on JudgeApps even after they get activated, in my mind, would only serve to reinforce an unnecessary sense of division and hierarchy.

As Lems said, the status “not activated (standby)” is adequately conveyed post-event by simply leaving those judges as Standby.

April 9, 2015 10:45:43 AM

Even Lindell Heggø
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

Will go with “Floor Judge” and “Standby” then, respectively.

Thanks!