Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: WER Local Player lists

WER Local Player lists

April 22, 2015 09:07:31 PM

Dave Tuite
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

WER Local Player lists

Hey guys we will be running a PPTQ during the weekend for the local shop. The shop itself uses a relatively antiquated PC which we use for FNM however moving it to the event has proved nightmarish in the past. As such I downloaded WER onto my laptop, however this in itself raises an issue as the local player list does not transfer with it.

Does anyone know how I could remedy this? It is more for convenience than anything else as it would save time on registration. Ireland being a relatively small area chances are 90% of the players will have played in an event at the shop at some point.

Dave

April 22, 2015 09:21:03 PM

Dominik Chłobowski
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Canada

WER Local Player lists

There are two buttons: “Import Players” and “Export Players” in the Local
Players tab inside of an event. =)

2015-04-22 10:08 GMT-04:00 Dave Tuite <forum-17754-e925@apps.magicjudges.org

April 22, 2015 10:38:21 PM

Huw Morris
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

WER Local Player lists

Also, after WER updates, I find I randomly lose players from my local database. (Does everybody else have this issue?) It's a good idea to regularly export the local database to Dropbox or USB stick.

April 23, 2015 09:19:23 AM

Fabian Peck
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Grand Prix Head Judge, Tournament Organizer

Australia and New Zealand

May 1, 2015 03:05:20 PM

James Do Hung Lee
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame, Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Northwest

WER Local Player lists

Well, alas, after all these years of realizing how WER is designed to harm its users and ensure that stores have negative experiences, I find myself the victim of this problem right immediately as I was acting to protect myself from WER ruining tournament experiences for me and my players.

Just as I was starting up WER to back up my local players so as not to create great suffering for all of the large regional events we have here in the Pacific Northwest, WER informed me that an update was available and asked if I wanted to run the update. Like a fool, I answered yes despite knowing that every other such update is not properly tested and potentially harmful to any use of WER. As soon as the updates started, I received the error message that access to the WER executable was not permitted. Then, right after, “value cannot be null.” And, finally, the dreaded, “object reference not set to an instance of an object.” Of course, my local players are now all gone. Even worse, tournament histories are now all gone. Every event still accessible in WER shows no rounds and results.

Even if I had an available back-up for my local players, wherever these tournament files are that should exist to protect event histories are now gone. Someone much smarter than me and who cares much more about player and organizer experience needs to work up some sort of script that can be run regularly that backs up whatever files it is that WER uses that keeps updates from destroying past data and harming organizers and players all over the world.

May 1, 2015 03:09:54 PM

Mark Brown
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Regional Coordinator (Australia and New Zealand), Scorekeeper

Australia and New Zealand

WER Local Player lists

Uninstall. Download the current version from the WPN site, install. That fixed my issue and a couple of others have been able to do the same.

May 1, 2015 03:36:01 PM

James Do Hung Lee
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame, Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Northwest

WER Local Player lists

Thank you, Mark. Your solution worked. Though I am deeply relieved, I still find this sort of problem inexcusable.