Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Missing a remembered trigger

Missing a remembered trigger

May 27, 2015 08:35:13 PM

Evan Cherry
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

My answer is in no way ‘O’fficial, and without Uncle Scott saying ‘O’ I don't think we've arrived there yet.

I agree with Michael's approach of misunderstanding vs misrepresenting. In a way, our missed trigger policy is written to assume that triggers just happen unless we get to either (a) choices/triggers have to be made when it goes on the stack or (b) we get to the point where it matters.

Based on this, I think that Emrakul's extra turn trigger occurred, but due to Player A misunderstanding the trigger, he thinks he doesn't get it. I say missed, and we'll rule out cheating based on not missing it intentionally.Whether it's forgetfulness or misunderstanding a trigger or some distraction, I believe that if you don't indicate your trigger when it matters, it is missed.

I brought up the philosophy of allowing backups for CPV to protect players from opponents misrepresenting information. Especially under Missed Trigger where the opponent never has any obligation to say anything, I don't think we're in a position to step in and correct players for misunderstanding triggers. There's another thread going elsewhere discussing when we are or not obligated to step in.

Edited Evan Cherry (May 27, 2015 08:35:46 PM)

May 27, 2015 09:42:12 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

'O'pinion != ‘O’fficial. Some discussions get an ‘O’fficial conclusion; some get various ‘O’pinions. In this thread, you have several very good Opinions.

Also, putting an ‘O’ inside square brackets doesn't work in these forums… I've not discovered a workaround. ‘O’ it is…

d:^D