Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Surge of Righteousness vs Pyroblast wording

Surge of Righteousness vs Pyroblast wording

May 27, 2015 10:05:56 PM

Alexey Chernyshov
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - East

I've got a question about Surge of Righteousness's wording. I do think “that's attacking or blocking” is the target limitation (so the spell can't target non-attacking/blocking creature), but I can't find corresponding rule.

There's another card: Pyroblast. Its oracle text says:
Choose one —
• Counter target spell if it's blue.
• Destroy target permanent if it's blue.

These checks are performed while the spell is resolving (so the spell can actually target non-blue spell or permanent).

These wordings seem fairly similar, but effects are different. What I want is to find the rule that makes this difference clear.

Edited Alexey Chernyshov (May 27, 2015 10:10:41 PM)

June 5, 2015 05:38:37 AM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

The targeting restriction of the Surge is “target red or black creature that's attacking or blocking”. It's describing what object can be targeted by the Surge (a creature that red or black and is also attacking or blocking).

A better comparison for Pyroblast is Red Elemental Blast. Pyroblast can target any spell, but will only counter the spell if the spell is blue. Red Elemental Blast can only target a blue spell, since the targeting requirement is “target blue spell”, while the targeting requirement for Pyroblast is just “target spell”.

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep