Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: A Fall from Grace? - BRONZE

A Fall from Grace? - BRONZE

Aug. 6, 2015 11:33:03 PM

David Larrea
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

Iberia

Hello judges, and welcome to another edition of the Knowledge Pool! This week's scenario is BRONZE. As a reminder, Bronze level scenarios are targeted at Level 1 judges who are just starting to learn the Infraction Procedure Guide (IPG). We normally give a time frame for more experienced judges to wait before answering, but with a Bronze scenario, we feel that slightly different guidelines are necessary. If you have read the IPG more than a few times or you have seen this situation at an event you have worked, please refrain from answering to give those that have not a chance to answer and discuss the scenario. After the conclusion of your local FNM, then we invite you to join the conversation! Thank you and good luck!

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/knowledgepool/?p=1452

You are the only judge in a Modern Masters 2015 Sealed PPTQ.

Angus is playing against Neil. Angus swings with his Battlegrace Angel, saying “exalted” as he taps it, and Neil says, “No blocks.” Angus takes his pen and says, “So you take 5 damage.” He writes this down and continues, “and I gain 5 life.” Neil disagrees because Angus didn't announce the lifelink trigger from the Angel when he attacked, and calls you.

What do you do?

Edited David Larrea (Aug. 7, 2015 04:59:29 AM)

Aug. 7, 2015 06:48:21 AM

Charles Featherer
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

This seems deceptively simple, so I hope I'm not missing something here.

The IPG now states regarding Missed Triggers, “A triggered ability triggers, but the player controlling the ability doesn't demonstrate awareness of the trigger's existence the first time that it would affect the game in a visible fashion.”

Angus, by the act of updating life totals, is taking an action regarding the trigger that would affect the game in a visible fashion. I'd explain to Neil that Angus is demonstrating awareness at the correct time. I'd tell both players that there is no Missed Trigger (or other penalty) as a change in life totals is the last time Angus can recognize the Lifelink trigger in this case. To Angus I'd ask him to actually state the lifelink trigger as a part of gaining life, so it is clear to his opponent why that is occurring . I'd ask them to play on, and be mindful of the new change in how the IPG is worded regarding Triggers in their other games and matches that day.

Edited Charles Featherer (Aug. 7, 2015 06:50:40 AM)

Aug. 12, 2015 02:40:54 PM

David Larrea
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

Iberia

Well, judges, it's time to wrap up!

As Charles noted, there is no infraction in this scenario. Both triggered abilities from Battlegrace Angel are triggered abilities that affect the game state in non-visible ways. So Angus must demonstrate awareness of the abilities the first time the change has an effect on visible game state. That moment is when Battlegrace Angel deals combat damage.
We should explain to Neil that Angus has not missed any of those triggers and why, then ask them to continue playing.

Thanks for participating, and see you in our next scenario.