Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: MTG Familiar (Android)

MTG Familiar (Android)

Dec. 5, 2012 08:38:19 PM

April King
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - North

MTG Familiar (Android)

MTG Familiar:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gelakinetic.mtgfam

Has a fully searchable and indexed Comp Rules as well as in-app access to Oracle rulings (view Card -> Menu -> Card Rulings). It does not have the MTR nor the IPG, although those are planned for a future release. A card counter is also in the works, although it's lower priority.

It's also free (as in beer) and free (as in speech).

April King (MTG Familiar developer)

Dec. 5, 2012 09:38:01 PM

Jonathan Reasoner
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - South

MTG Familiar (Android)

I started using this app before i was certified, and continue to use it. It's a rich, full-featured app, easy to use (I've actually reached for my phone to look up a card while sitting in front of my computer.) Thank you for developing it, and for any android users who haven't given it a try, I definitely recommend it.

Dec. 6, 2012 07:49:14 PM

Luís Guimarãis
Judge (Uncertified)

Iberia

MTG Familiar (Android)

Great stuff!
+1

June 17, 2013 07:26:32 PM

April King
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - North

MTG Familiar (Android)

MTG Familiar now has the IPG, MTR, and a card counter included in the “Judge's Corner” section of the app. :)

June 18, 2013 03:28:45 AM

Ronny Alvarado
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

MTG Familiar (Android)

You are the definition of badassery. Thank you!

July 4, 2013 09:27:32 AM

Dmitry Zelyanin
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Russia and Russian-speaking countries

MTG Familiar (Android)

I am using it for several months as well as many players in our community and we really appreciate your great effort. Thanks a lot!

Jan. 7, 2014 02:37:50 PM

Jorge Rua
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Iberia

MTG Familiar (Android)

MTG Familiar is my support as judge and as Magic player.
Good job, thank you!

Jan. 7, 2014 03:49:49 PM

Adam Feinstein
USA - Midatlantic

MTG Familiar (Android)

I apologize for the lag, but the MTR and IPG are back up to date, thanks to Ryan Stapleton. By default the app checks for updates every three days, or you can force it with the “force update” button in the sidebar. Enjoy!

Adam (MTG Familiar project lead)

Feb. 12, 2014 02:30:13 PM

Joaquín Pérez
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Iberia

MTG Familiar (Android)

I'm currently using MTG Judge Core App, but I'll check this one too!! :)

Feb. 24, 2014 03:24:43 PM

Andrea Mondani
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

Italy and Malta

MTG Familiar (Android)

This app is marvelous, I use all the features extensively and it's complete and very well done.

I found some strange behaviours with the “Round Timer” feature that seems to be sure we always are on turn eleven for some reason, and it often stops showing the countdown timer (but it still stays as a notification icon with the end of round time and keeps giving sound alerts).

Do you plan a future update for the “Judge's Corner” to give a it a layout similar to the very easy one found in the “Rules” section?

May 19, 2014 05:59:34 AM

Adam Feinstein
USA - Midatlantic

MTG Familiar (Android)

We don't have an update planned to format the MTR and IPG. This is because the rules come in nice plaintext which we can parse, while the most app-friendly versions of the MTR and IPG are the epub ones found at http://www.bluewizard.net/

The round timer was largely rewritten for version 3.0.1. Let me know if you are still having issues with it. The best place for feedback is https://github.com/AEFeinstein/mtg-familiar/issues

Dec. 25, 2014 10:09:03 AM

Chaim Weinberg
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Southwest

MTG Familiar (Android)

Originally posted by Adam Feinstein:

We don't have an update planned to format the MTR and IPG. This is because the rules come in nice plaintext which we can parse, while the most app-friendly versions of the MTR and IPG are the epub ones found at http://www.bluewizard.net/
Would a plaintext version of the MTR and IPG be helpful?

Dec. 25, 2014 10:58:53 AM

Samantha Short
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

USA - Central

MTG Familiar (Android)

I love this app! It's my favorite for trading, especially, as it adds up the two sides of the trade for you. But, when searching a card in the trade search field, you have to type the card name in its entirety to find it. For instance, to find Llanowar Wastes, you have to type out all the way up to “Llanowar W” to get the card to appear in the first few finds. You can't search for all cards containing the word “Wastes”, even though that would turn up fewer results, making it an easier search. Is there a way to make the trade portion of the app let you search any part of the card name?