Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Running a league

Running a league

Dec. 14, 2012 09:43:32 AM

Joep Verhoeven
Judge (Level 1 (International Judge Program))

BeNeLux

Running a league

Here in Nijmegen we are starting up a league, to reward the people who attend everything we organise and to give people something to play for beyond the prize pool.
The idea is to have a free draft at the end of the season for 8 people.
Both attendance and score will be counted, so just always being there is not enough, doing well is rewarded.

Now for the part were I need help. Does anyone have any experience with lifting final standing from WER so they can be used (in say a google doc)?
All I have been able to manage is copy the statistics from 1 player at a time, making the process slow.
Since running these things is not a novel idea, I hoped people here might have a good/better way to do it.

Also, does anyone have a good idea for scoring the results.
We came up with just using the match points and adding the participation bonus like the planeswalker point system uses.
My only concern with this system is that attendance is now undervalued (3 FNM's going 1-3 is equal in points to 1 4-0 FNM)
Multiplying the participation bonus by 3 seems like an ok fix.
Has anyone fiddled with this kind of system?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dec. 14, 2012 10:13:57 AM

Dan Lynch
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Running a league

I haven't actually done this myself, but two things to note that may help you, if you are technically-minded:

1) WER can output final results for each tournament in XML format
2) WER stores all its data in an ordinary Microsoft Access file called TournamentData.dat

I hope that helps!

Dec. 14, 2012 10:32:47 AM

Jona Bemindt
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

BeNeLux

Running a league

Hi Joep,

The Outpost stores in Belgium use a similar award-system, that takes their data out of the WER files. I'd suggest contacting Mark Dictus or Werner Van der haeghe about the details. If you do not have their contact info, feel free to send me a message and I'll provide them to you.

Cheers,

Jona

Dec. 14, 2012 10:34:41 AM

George FitzGerald
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southeast

Running a league

I'd also like to point out that WER now has a League system. You should
explore that and what it can do for you, as that might answer a lot of your
problems.

I wish I could tell you more, but I've only give it a cursory glance and
haven't played with it in any depth.

-George FitzGerald
L2, Sarasota, FL

Dec. 14, 2012 06:58:04 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Running a league

What I've done: print standings, change the printer to Generic/Text Only, then enter a file name.
Edit that file with any text editor, remove the excess lines (header, footer - everything but the actual standings lines); save it.
Open that file with Excel, answer the Import Wizard's prompts - as I recall, the defaults worked OK. Now you've got your data in a very easy-to-use format.

Hope this helps! – Scott M

Sent from my iPad

Dec. 16, 2012 11:34:51 AM

Michel Degenhardt
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

Running a league

As for the scoring of such a league: we're using a rather flat points system. Everyone who participates gets 1 point, top half gets 2, top quarter gets 3, first place and everyone on the same match point total as the first place gets 4 points. The resulting standings make for a balance between showing up and doing well that works for us. Most important to us is that drafts (which due to time constraints are played 3 rounds rather then 4) and multiplayer events (where we do end up with a ranking at the end of the night) are rated equal to constructed tournaments.

March 31, 2013 04:36:32 PM

Jorge Rua
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Iberia

Running a league

Here, in Mira,we have an annual league, since 2004, which assigns the following points to each player:
- 1 point for participating in the tournament
- 1 point for each round played
- 3 points for a win
- 1 point for a draw.

This balances the relationship of points for participation and results in the tournament, and assures that any player, even with a score of 0-X, get points.