Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: DCI number lookup in Judge Center

DCI number lookup in Judge Center

Nov. 11, 2015 08:51:53 AM

Filip Haglund
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

As far as I know, there is no way to look up a players DCI number in judge center (or elsewhere), instead you have to ask the player for it. I know this can be done in WER, but I'm asking for the case where you don't have access to WER. The specific use-case is for managing L1 candidates (I just passed L2 but haven't gotten my status properly updated yet).

So two-fold question I guess;

1) Is there a way to look up a players DCI number that I'm unaware of?
2) Are there specific reasons (personal integrity or otherwise) why a judge center profile page could now display the users DCI number?

Nov. 11, 2015 11:56:15 AM

Brian Schenck
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Originally posted by Filip Söderholm:

1) Is there a way to look up a players DCI number that I'm unaware of?
2) Are there specific reasons (personal integrity or otherwise) why a judge center profile page could now display the users DCI number?

Profiles in the Judge Center display DCI#s to certain privileged users. I'm not sure what threshold that is at, but the current setting is likely intentional to ensure a certain level of security over that information from the average user. Could it be set differently? If it doesn't display to Level 2 judges, it could probably be changed so that it does display. It would just require some changes to various elements of the Judge Center's programming, to which I certainly don't have access. (It also might be the kind of thing that WotC would have to evaluate.)

That being said, I certainly feel that a judge candidate knowing his or her own DCI# demonstrates an understanding an awareness of OP. Perhaps it is a bit of my own history showing, but “What is your DCI#?” was one of the very first questions I was asked as a potential judge candidate. As innocuous a question as it may be, it felt to me at the time like it was something important to know as someone who participates in OP as either a player or a judge.

Now, as someone who's tested a few people over the years, it is the kind of question I like asking as part of getting to know my candidates. It helps me to understand how aware they might be of where they fit into OP, understand something they need as either a player or a judge, and helps me understand what resources they might need as part of being a judge. If they don't know their own DCI#, then I can help them get that information and it is one thing that teaches them to be able to help players get that information if I show them how to look it up.

Just my two cents on that aspect of how I approach testing a potential Level 1.

Nov. 11, 2015 03:00:08 PM

Filip Haglund
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

Originally posted by Brian Schenck:

That being said, I certainly feel that a judge candidate knowing his or her own DCI# demonstrates an understanding an awareness of OP. Perhaps it is a bit of my own history showing, but “What is your DCI#?” was one of the very first questions I was asked as a potential judge candidate. As innocuous a question as it may be, it felt to me at the time like it was something important to know as someone who participates in OP as either a player or a judge.

Now, as someone who's tested a few people over the years, it is the kind of question I like asking as part of getting to know my candidates. It helps me to understand how aware they might be of where they fit into OP, understand something they need as either a player or a judge, and helps me understand what resources they might need as part of being a judge. If they don't know their own DCI#, then I can help them get that information and it is one thing that teaches them to be able to help players get that information if I show them how to look it up.

Just my two cents on that aspect of how I approach testing a potential Level 1.

I understand your sentiment, and completely agree with it.

This is not the case for the candidate I wanted to look up right now, though. The specific usecase was that I was adding them to a list of judge candidates in the Nordic region that wants a DCI-number as one of the fields, and I didn't have it as I forgot to ask the candidate, and they didn't respond when I messaged them. So in this case, I would assume that this candidate does in fact know their DCI-number, but I forgot to ask about it, and I wanted access to a convenient way of querying that data from somewhere.