Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: Judge App for Iphone

Judge App for Iphone

Nov. 19, 2015 06:25:34 AM

James Butler
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Judge App for Iphone

Is there a current judge app for iphone? My friend wants to get started in judging and he can't use the core judging app since it isn't available for his phone. Any suggestions?

Nov. 19, 2015 06:28:59 AM

Julio Sosa
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

Hispanic America - South

Judge App for Iphone

Not an iOS user, but as far as I remember, there was MTGguide.
El nov. 19, 2015 8:26, “James Butler” <forum-22880-5b5c@apps.magicjudges.org>
escribió:

Nov. 19, 2015 06:30:14 AM

Aruna Prem Bianzino

Iberia

Judge App for Iphone

I use MTG Guide. It is not for free, but it is worth it (I tried quite a lot of other free apps before…)

Nov. 19, 2015 06:36:57 AM

Ernst Jan Plugge
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

Judge App for Iphone

MTG Guide is good for what it does. It costs a few bucks but it's updated quickly and worth it.

It doesn't have all the functionalities of the Android app, though. Like a draft timer and searching for cards by set, cmc, collector's number, etc., which makes it harder to use when you need a card that can't be identified by its English language name.

Nov. 19, 2015 06:58:08 AM

Ryan Stapleton
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

USA - Midatlantic

Judge App for Iphone

I have the documents formatted in EPub, ISilo and e-reader formats. These formats are readable by several apps that come with or are findable for most phones.

Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.bluewizard.net/judgeDocs.html

Thanks
Ryan

Sent from my iPhone

Nov. 19, 2015 07:25:22 AM

Carlos Ho
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Grand Prix Head Judge, Regional Coordinator (Hispanic America - North), L3 Panel Lead

Hispanic America - North

Judge App for Iphone

> On 19 nov 2015, at 6:37, Ernst Jan Plugge <forum-22880-a722@apps.magicjudges.org> wrote:

> It doesn't have all the functionalities of the Android app, though. Like a draft timer and searching for cards by set, cmc, collector's number, etc., which makes it harder to use when you need a card that can't be identified by its English language name.

It does allow searching by set and collector's number. It's been available pretty much from the start of the apps' life.
And yes, it's great to find Oracle text for a foreign card you can't remember its English name.

Nov. 19, 2015 08:15:24 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Judge App for Iphone

I use MtG Guide, and the price is a bargain for all that it does.

Augmented Reader was mentioned in a recent thread, and I've been using it, too. Point the phones camera at the art, it finds the card and gives you useful info (Oracle and rulings).

d:^D

Nov. 19, 2015 10:25:35 AM

Ernst Jan Plugge
Judge (Uncertified)

BeNeLux

Judge App for Iphone

Originally posted by Carlos Ho:

It does allow searching by set and collector's number. It's been available pretty much from the start of the apps' life.
Oops, I stand corrected on that. I remember looking for it in the past and being frustrated I couldn't find it, but maybe that was just me being me.

So yeah. Even bigger thumbs up for MTG Guide in that case. Get it :-)

Nov. 19, 2015 11:21:02 AM

Bruno Matos
Judge (Uncertified)

Iberia

Judge App for Iphone

From all the apps that i've tried, MTG guide is the best. Easy to use, and very fast updated every time IPG or MTR change, or even any set cames out.

Try it, you will like.

Nov. 19, 2015 01:23:43 PM

David Larrea
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

Iberia

Judge App for Iphone

I use mtgscanner for IOS to find a card's text. Just scan the card and you get it, awesome!
Works offline.

Nov. 19, 2015 01:34:04 PM

Martha Lufkin
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

Judge App for Iphone

I have an app on my iPhone named Draft Timer but when I went to the App Store just now it didn't appear to be available. I found a webpage for it: http://mtg-draft-timer.com/

Nov. 21, 2015 08:11:38 AM

Charles Featherer
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Judge App for Iphone

I'll add my voice to those that sing the praises of mtgguide. (Hidden tool tip, on the main page there is a weird symbol on the upper left part of the screen - click on it to launch the Deck Check Counter).

However, I think there are a few other apps that are worth mentioning as well - for reasons we'll see below (Note, this is for the US - but I'm sure that if the app isn't effective in your part of the world that there is a good replacement):

Weather Underground - The best weather app out there today. Takes an aggregate of weather predictions to offer some very good data and helps plan for what your weekend may be like at a GP a 1,000 miles away.
Google Maps - Need to get from the hotel to the venue? Find food after you finish for the day? Google Maps can do all of that and more.
Pandora - Let's not talk about my one station that slowly devolves into banjo music, and realize this is a great free app for listening to music to and from events. (Assuming you're caught up on your Magic podcasts via a the great podcast app: Downcast).
Google Sheets - Download this so you have it ready - at some large events, this may be the tool of choice for tracking EOR.
Facebook/Twitter - So much hype! Promote where you are and how much fun you're having.
*Insert Favorite Time Waster Here* - Any game that helps you decompress for a few minutes or some other app that lets you forget about the day for a time may be of value. If it helps you emotionally recharge in 10 minutes or less - it's a keeper.

Cheers,
Charles

(Sorry I took this in a completely different direction, but I felt mentioning these helps to get us to think about us as complete people - and I've used everyone of them at least once in reference to events.)

Nov. 27, 2015 05:47:18 AM

Mathieu Carlouet
Judge (Uncertified)

France

Judge App for Iphone

Two very usefull apps free for iphone :

Mtgscanner : scan the card and it gives you the oracle text.
Works with every language but fails to recognize some promos. Works OFFLINE ! The fastest recognition possible as you don't have to type.

Deck list counter : small app to count the decklists by 1/2/3/4 + basic lands (you type the number)
It keeps a track on the left so you can check if there was a mistake.
Basic but really tailored for deck checks.

To search for a card my favorite website is still magiccards.info

Nov. 27, 2015 07:57:03 AM

Stefan Ladstätter-Thaa

Vienna, Austria

Judge App for Iphone

+1 for MTG Guide. Very cheap for what it does, regular and timely updates.

I just checked out MTGscanner/Augmented Reader and this is amazing, thanks for all who recommended this. This will make Oracle lookup so much faster at events.