Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Introducing the Sealed Process Checklist (Grands Prix)

Introducing the Sealed Process Checklist (Grands Prix)

Dec. 2, 2015 11:03:44 PM

John Temple
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Chicago, Illinois, United States of America

4) The decklist dinosaur
In writing this out, I also wonder if our decklists use phrasing out of habit rather than effectiveness. What if “Player Registering Deck” and “Player Using Deck” were “Registered By” and “Played By” respectively? “Played” and “Total” might work better as “Main” and “All” or “Pool.”

This is a great idea that I think we can and should implement in the very short term.

Dec. 3, 2015 01:50:56 AM

Eli Meyer
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by John Carter:

1) Sign the media waiver
2a) Players facing stage–open your boosters, reveal pool to opposite player.
2b) Player facing away from stage—repeat 2a.
3) Exchange pools with opposite player.
4) Write your name on the decklist under Player Registering.
I think something needs to be clarified here–by my reading, this results in each player having signed the waver on the back of their opponent's decklist! (this, by the way, happened a *lot* at Atlanta)

Dec. 3, 2015 02:29:09 AM

John Carter
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

USA - Northwest

Originally posted by Eli Meyer:

I think something needs to be clarified here

See previous note about the waiver being separate in the example and my thoughts about waivers prior to the example.

Having real-world results like yours from Atlanta can prove fruitful in figuring out an optimal plan.

Dec. 3, 2015 02:40:26 AM

Eli Meyer
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

Sorry, totally missed that note!

That said, while I understand the desire to keep the waiver separate, that's literally *reams* of paper at a decent-sized GP. I think TO's will be hesitant.

Dec. 3, 2015 02:56:57 AM

John Carter
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

USA - Northwest

I'm super aware of the reams (and the packing, collecting, and accounting for) that waivers mandate. That's part of where the idea for the 1/2 or 1/4 size waivers came from. (500 players per ream with 10% to 25% extra forms to deal with various issues.) TOs historically haven't been that resistant to separate forms because waivers for GPs went one direction, and decklists went elsewhere. That said, it's always good to consider options that make the event more efficient for TOs, judges, or players.

What would be really interesting is a few steps beyond that:

1) The largest events with media waivers are GPs.
2) GPs are also limited to preregistration-only.

What if the online prereg system had an electronic media waiver system?
What if registering onsite (Friday for most events) meant using a reg form that included the media waiver?

In Blue Sky Christmas-Time Land <tm>, what would be awesome is if a centralized system held my information and my electronic signature for a standing waiver that covered all relevant events.

In other words, what if our registration systems meant that in order to even be listed players had to already have completed the media waiver in one form or another?

The one thing I like more than colored sheets of paper for different forms is already having those forms completed. ;-)

Dec. 3, 2015 11:17:11 PM

Yonatan Kamensky
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Signing a waiver with registration makes infinitely more sense from a “flavor perspective.” After all, they don't have you sign your life away while you're checking your parachute to skydive, they do it before you step on the plane.