Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Article Discussion » Post: Grand Prix Judge Selection

Grand Prix Judge Selection

March 14, 2016 09:27:06 AM

Evan Cherry
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

This forum is for discussing the article Grand Prix Judge Selection by Johanna Virtanen.

March 14, 2016 10:52:40 AM

Milan Majerčík
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Europe - Central

A big THANK YOU to Johanna for this article. There is never enough transparency and many things in the Judge Program are happening behind a curtain.

Not sure whether it would make sense or it would just create too much overhead, but it would be nice if there was some kind of feedback shared with the declined applicants. A few words on the reason of decline. At least some general category (“low priority from RC”, “negative feedback”, “deficient cover letter” etc.).

Edited Milan Majerčík (March 14, 2016 10:55:50 AM)

March 14, 2016 12:47:53 PM

Eskil Myrenberg
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Europe - North

This was a really interesting read! Thank you for sharing ^^!

March 14, 2016 01:10:11 PM

Johanna Virtanen
Judge (Level 3 (Magic Judges Finland)), L3 Panel Lead

Europe - North

Thank you, Milan. About sharing feedback with declined candidates - I understand why people would want this, but even if we had a nice “send feedback about application” button, it would be a non-trivial amount of work. I consider this a luxury that I can't yet afford.

Your RC is always the best place to start if you're looking for feedback. And if you e-mail me, I will answer eventually - and if you can wait a few days after results have been published (allowing me to get urgent stuff taken care of first), I will <3 you a little bit more.

March 14, 2016 01:34:28 PM

Juan Francisco Montiel Aragon
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Iberia

Great reeding. Looks very easy to understand and trust writed.

PS: RC's email inbox getting full in 3,2,1,… :D

March 14, 2016 01:53:08 PM

Jon Munck
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

USA - Northwest

This article was very helpful, not just for GP application, but for all event applications. Thanks for taking the time to write and share!

March 14, 2016 06:57:59 PM

Ben Quasnitschka
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - South

Same here, I loved reading this. Learning about the “nuts and bolts” of making an event a successful one is really interesting to me, and I hope other judge managers read and chime in about how they make their selections. I'm applying to GP NY right now and am keeping my expectations low, since I'm getting back into judging and haven't made it to L2 again.