Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: A Few GPT Questions

A Few GPT Questions

May 29, 2016 12:57:30 PM

Michael Foster
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

A Few GPT Questions

Hey all,

I have a GPT coming up shortly and had a few things that I wanted to clarify. I've checked the MTR and the GPT fact sheet and haven't quite been able to find a solid answer, so I figured I would ask the Judge hive-mind for assistance!

First the TO for the GPT just announced that the format would be SOI sealed with an EMA draft for the top eight. The recommended booster mixes in the MTR only deal with each individual portion, so it is not clear to me if it is allowable to use the different product for the sealed and draft portions.

Second, and this is more in regards to limited GPTs in general, if we were to only have 8 players register for the even, would we be doing sealed or draft? Is that at the TOs discretion?

Thanks.

May 29, 2016 01:40:58 PM

Dominik Chłobowski
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Canada

A Few GPT Questions

Edit, post Uncle Scott's answer: Turns out that http://wpn.wizards.com/sites/wpn/files/attachements/wpn_gpt_rules_en_jg.docx (and MTR) specify that there's no playoff if there's only 8 players, so no draft, as I erroneously suggested. Clever detail I misinterpreted. =(

Sealed or draft is the TOs choice for top 8 regardless of the number of
players. A different draft format for top 8 will probably need an ‘O’
answer.

2016-05-28 22:58 GMT-04:00 Michael Foster <

Edited Dominik Chłobowski (June 1, 2016 08:14:35 AM)

June 1, 2016 01:48:21 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

A Few GPT Questions

Draft is not a valid format for GPTs or PPTQs, it's a part of the limited (Sealed) format. If you only have 8 players, it should be Sealed and single elimination. If you have more than 8 players, the Top 8 can be a draft, or you can continue to use the sealed pools from the Swiss.

(That is not an option for RPTQs; the documents now stipulate a Top 8 draft, even though you only run one round of Top 8, to qualify 4 players.)

The question of changing product between Swiss and Top 8 is still under discussion by Wizards' Organized Play. I hope to follow up shortly.

d:^D

June 15, 2016 10:19:26 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

A Few GPT Questions

Confirmed: you can use a different product mix for Swiss and Top 8. Make sure the products being used are announced before the tournament begins. (And everyone still has to receive the same product in each portion of the tournament.)

d:^D

June 16, 2016 12:52:42 AM

Daniel Ruffolo
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Canada

A Few GPT Questions

I'm glad the post was updated :)

I put in a call myself to Organized Play when it was getting too close to this event and I hadn't seen a response here and they gave a pretty much immediate ‘yes that’s fine'

My reading of appendix D of the MTR made it clear that it would be fine. It sets out required product mixes for each format in premier events. For Shadows Over Innistrad sealed deck, it requires 6 packs of SoI, which was what I did. For Eternal Masters Booster Draft, it requires 3 packs of EMA, which is what I did. It doesn't even imply a single thing about changing formats between swiss and top 8 resulting in a mandatory sticking with the products. How could I have done Modern/Draft and then not changed product between swiss and top 8?

Advertising the event more widely in the days preceding it, I had two different L2s ask to speak to me privately to inform me that I “can't” run the event that way. Do we need to make a clarification in appendix D? This felt so obviously fine to me given my read of it that I'm not sure why anybody would read it differently, but enough people did that it makes me wonder of some change is in order.

June 16, 2016 01:30:41 AM

Jason Malott
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

Canada

A Few GPT Questions

Speaking as one of those two L2s you are referring to Dan, I never said that you ‘can’t' or ‘couldn’t' do an event like this. I merely referred you to this thread and suggested that you attempt to get a definite answer from Scott before your event.

June 16, 2016 12:36:59 PM

Daniel Ruffolo
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Canada

A Few GPT Questions

You weren't one of the two I was referring to.