Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Missed Fabricate triggers

Missed Fabricate triggers

Sept. 16, 2016 11:16:13 AM

Florian Horn
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge, Scorekeeper

France

I'd like an answer on how to handle missed Fabricate triggers.

The rules for fabricate N are written as “You may put N +1/+1 counters on it. If you don’t, create N 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature tokens”.

According to the IPG, this means that missed Fabricate triggers do not expire: no matter how long ago the trigger was missed, we should create N Servo tokens.

Is this how we should rule in this situation?

Sept. 16, 2016 12:07:03 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

We try not to address rules questions prior to the release of the set's Rules Update (or FAQ, or whatever you like to call it). Please try this again, *after* Kaladesh has been released.

For the sake of the prerelease, it seems like your guess is as good as mine. :)

d:^D

Sept. 16, 2016 04:35:00 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

First, I didn't ask people to wait for the FAQ; I asked people to wait for the release of Kaladesh. Yes, the FAQ is already out there, and it sure seems to confirm what Florian guessed - but the FAQ is not about how we interpret policy.

Second, people have asked “why did you delete the replies?” Well, because Florian's question asked for an Answer, not speculation; if you're not one of those designated as an ‘O’fficial source, then please, don't Answer. (This is not new, and it's laid out very clearly in the Forum Protocol - linked at the top of every forum…)

Finally, this thread is closed pending release of the IPG, which does tell us how to interpret policy. Maybe it will change, maybe it won't - but until that's released, there's nothing more to talk about, here.

Edited Scott Marshall (Sept. 16, 2016 04:36:01 PM)

Sept. 26, 2016 07:24:44 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator

USA - Northwest

Hey, look - I'm not even waiting for the official release of Kaladesh! :)

Now that the new IPG has been released, and Toby's talked about the changes, we can address the original question - by applying the new wording in the IPG.

The reminder text on cards with Fabricate may cause us some heartache, as it doesn't quite match the rules text (roughly, “put +1/+1 counter(s) OR make servo tokens” vs. “put +1/+1 counter(s); if you don't, make servo tokens”). However, it is definitely a trigger that specifies a default action.

And, from the IPG: “If the triggered ability specifies a default action … give the opponent the choice to resolve it choosing the default option.” I know, that sentence may need a bit of explanation - maybe next time? - but the summary of changes in the Appendix confirms what I'm about to tell you: “Default-option triggers let the opponent choose whether to resolve it.”

So, I play a creature with Fabricate 2, and get distracted (probably by you, you motor-mouth gamesmanship-type person, you!), forgetting to choose an option. On your turn, you attack into what appears to be a clear board, then I remember the 2 servo tokens I was counting on as chump blockers. You have a choice: you can let me resolve the default option, or not. I'm guessing you're going to reward my forgetfulness by choosing “not”, so I don't get my chump blockers. (See how you are??!?!!!? grrr…)