Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: "Becomes the target of" specifics

"Becomes the target of" specifics

Dec. 30, 2016 07:56:07 PM

Beau
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

"Becomes the target of" specifics

I've been looking for a solid rules justification for a pair of scenarios, but haven't really found anything concrete in the rules on objects “becom{ing} the target” of a spell under unusual scenarios. Particularly, when the spell has multiple instances of the word target, or when the object becomes the target for a different instance of target on the same spell. e.g:

If my opponent casts Seeds of Strength targeting my Leovold, Emissary of Trest, does he become the target of that spell once, or three times?

If my opponent casts Tail Slash targeting his bear then my Leovold, and I steal the spell and change it to target my Leovold then his bear (with Perplexing Chimera), will Leovold trigger only once, or twice?

EDIT: Hmm. Well, duh, on that second scenario. If I control the spell he won't trigger. Well then, how about another opponent steals opponent #1's Fate Transfer that was targeting my Leovold then a bear, and changes it to targeting the bear then Leovold. Does he “become the target” of that spell when he is switched from the first instance of “target” to the second?

Edited Beau (Dec. 31, 2016 12:53:13 AM)