Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Tournament Error - Other

Tournament Error - Other

May 29, 2013 06:44:31 PM

Philip Böhm
Judge (Uncertified), Tournament Organizer

German-speaking countries

Tournament Error - Other

Every now and then, a player does a thing he isn't supposed to do, violating the MTR somehow.

The reason why the player isn't penalized is because there's no infraction for it (“Tournament Error - Other”).

Is there any reason why the IPG doesn't have a general penalty for infractions of MTR not covered in other infractions? I see it happen often enough and can't find a good reason.

Discussion: Would it be useful? How often do you “caution” players for violating MTR. Do you think a penalty for things like leaving dirt on table or others is useful? Afterall, I think messing up with MTR should be tracked like other penalties are too.

May 29, 2013 06:50:28 PM

Andrew Heckt
Judge (Uncertified)

Italy and Malta

Tournament Error - Other

Because it does not meet the criteria set out in framework section on page 1 of the IPG document.
Further the last paragraph of section 1.3 covers how to handle this area.

Andy

Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:45 PM
To: Heckt, Andy
Subject: Tournament Error - Other (Competitive REL)

Every now and then, a player does a thing he isn't supposed to do, violating the MTR somehow.

The reason why the player isn't penalized is because there's no infraction for it (“Tournament Error - Other”).

Is there any reason why the IPG doesn't have a general penalty for infractions of MTR not covered in other infractions? I see it happen often enough and can't find a good reason.

Discussion: Would it be useful? How often do you “caution” players for violating MTR. Do you think a penalty for things like leaving dirt on table or others is useful? Afterall, I think messing up with MTR should be tracked like other penalties are too.

——————————————————————————–
If you want to respond to this thread, simply reply to this e-email. Or view and respond to this message on the web at http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/post/23810/

Disable all notifications for this topic: http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/noemail/4385/
Receive on-site notifications only for this topic: http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/noemail/4385/

You can change your email notification settings at http://apps.magicjudges.org/profiles/edit

June 2, 2013 03:09:48 PM

Thomas Ralph
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Tournament Error - Other

I would point out three things:

1. Leaving excessive garbage on the table is an infraction (USC Minor, IPG 4.1)
2. As Andy pointed out, IPG 1.3 states that minor violations not covered by an infraction should be dealt with by a caution, or if repeated, directly instructing the player not to repeat the offense. In the event he does it a third or subsequent time, it becomes USC Major for failing to follow the direct instruction of a tournament official. But it means the penalty database is not otherwise cluttered with things of which the DCI is not very interested in keeping track (such as that time when a HJ gave the entire tournament a warning for talking during announcements).
3. There used to be infractions like those you mention a long time ago, which were called Procedural Errors Minor, Major, and Severe. Each had a gazillion different things incorporated and it was difficult to remember what went where. It also led to inconsistency from judge to judge and event to event (hey, is failing to attack with your Juggernaut a Minor or a Major?) And some of the examples or problems were just plain weird or wrong: at one stage an example of Procedural Error Severe, which was for a short period a DQ infraction, was “a player spills coffee on his deck and is unable to play his match effectively”. In 15+ years judging I have never had that happen (although for the record I have had a player spill orange juice on his opponent's deck and a different player spill Coke on his own deck). The interaction of beverages and Magical cards is now quite reasonably classified as significant and exceptional circumstances .

Anyway, enough of my wittering, but I hope that helps clarify the reasoning.