Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Which extra turn, 0 or 1?

Which extra turn, 0 or 1?

Oct. 21, 2019 12:21:06 PM

Tomas Joska
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Tournament Organizer

Europe - Central

hi everyone,
this question came up during our last judge conference:
SITUATION 1
Player A passes the turn by saying “Go”. Player B doesn't untap immediately, seems to be thinking whether or not to play an instant at end of turn. At that moment time is called in the round. Is Player B's next turn considered to be extra turn 0, right?

SITUATION 2
Player A passes the turn by saying “Go”. Player B doesn't untap immediately, taps for one red and says “at end of turn, Bolt you”. Before the Bolt resolves, time is called in the round. Is Player B's next turn considered to be extra turn 0 or 1?

To sum this up: Is there a point/situation until/after that is next turn considered extra turn 1 or is it always extra turn 0? Thanks for clarifying this for me (us)

Oct. 23, 2019 12:08:48 AM

Mark Brown
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Regional Coordinator (Australia and New Zealand), Scorekeeper

Australia and New Zealand

Assuming both players are clear about what happened I would rule that in both situations Player A's turn is turn 0 as until Player B acknowledges it is their turn we haven't left Player A's turn.

Situation 1 Player B hasn't untapped, there is no indication we have passed out of Player A's turn.

Situation 2 is a lot clearer, Player B has cast a spell during Player A's turn and it hasn't finished resolving yet.

Oct. 23, 2019 01:25:07 AM

Yanneck Tscheu
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

But MTR 2.5 states:
If the active player has already indicated that they’d like to pass the turn when the time limit is reached, that is considered to be in their opponent’s next turn.
So shouldn't it be Turn 0 for Player B still?
https://blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/mtr2-5/

Oct. 23, 2019 01:36:44 AM

Mark Brown
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Regional Coordinator (Australia and New Zealand), Scorekeeper

Australia and New Zealand

Originally posted by Yanneck Tscheu:

But MTR 2.5 states:
If the active player has already indicated that they’d like to pass the turn when the time limit is reached, that is considered to be in their opponent’s next turn.
So shouldn't it be Turn 0 for Player B still?

Yes I missed that, so Situation 1 it's Turn 0 for Player B. If Player B wants to take an action in Player A's turn are they now acting in turn -1 though?

Oct. 23, 2019 02:56:55 AM

Francesco Scialpi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2019/01/21/policy-changes-for-ravnica-allegiance/

“If a player says “Go” (or otherwise passes the turn) and time is called while the opponent is doing something in end step (or not yet untapping), the opponent gets Turn 0. This removes the incentive to run out the clock after a player has passed the turn by holding off untapping just long enough.”

Oct. 29, 2019 03:45:43 AM

Tomas Joska
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Tournament Organizer

Europe - Central

Can this what Francesco says be considered OA?
thanks again,
Tomas

Oct. 29, 2019 04:40:10 AM

Lev Kotlyar
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

Europe - North

This is written in MTR 2.5.
Also, I believe Toby Elliott is the Officialest of sources.

Edited Lev Kotlyar (Oct. 29, 2019 04:40:53 AM)

Oct. 29, 2019 08:56:07 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Originally posted by Tomas Joska:

Can this what Francesco says be considered OA?
What Toby wrote can be considered Official, as long as it hasn’t been updated more recently. Quoting Official documents isn’t the same thing as providing an ‘O’fficial ruling.

As NetRep and Forum Moderator, I was contracted to provide ‘O’fficial Answers, which often involved research, discussions with Toby and/or other ‘O’fficial sources, and discussion with the other Forum Moderators. Yes, I have a wealth of experience and Accumulated Knowledge(heh), but that wasn’t what made my posts ‘O’fficial.

To the best of my knowledge, neither Wizards nor Judge Academy have designated any official sources for these forums. As my contract ended October 1st, I am no longer empowered to act in any official capacity. (I do still intend to share ‘O’pinions™, of which I have plenty!)

For now, some of the Forum Moderators continue to monitor the forums, and - as Mark Brown did here - may provide Answers as they can.

d:^D