Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Failure to reveal ... ?

Failure to reveal ... ?

Nov. 15, 2019 03:39:54 AM

Martin Cuchet
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

France

Failure to reveal ... ?

Hi,
I recently had to handle the following situation but I couldn't find anything in the documents, except in the Comp Rules.

My opponent failed to reveal the morph cards he was playing during G1.
I want to know what are the cards to side accordingly.

Comp Rules says :
707.9 If a face-down permanent moves from the battlefield to any other zone, its owner must reveal it to all players as they move it. If a face-down spell moves from the stack to any zone other than the battlefield, its owner must reveal it to all players as they move it. If a player leaves the game, all face-down permanents and spells owned by that player must be revealed to all players. At the end of each game, all face-down permanents and spells must be revealed to all players.

Looking for answers :)

Edited Martin Cuchet (Nov. 15, 2019 03:40:05 AM)

Nov. 15, 2019 03:57:25 AM

Julio Sosa
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

Hispanic America - South

Failure to reveal ... ?

It seems that the player committed “an error in the game that cannot be corrected by only publicly available information.”

This falls under Hidden Card Error, since the identity of the face down card was only known to one player.

Specifically, HCE has a “Morph upgrade”: If a face-down card cast using a morph ability is discovered during the game to not have a morph ability, the penalty is a Game Loss. If the player has one or more cards with a morph ability in hand, has not added previously unknown cards to their hand since casting the card found in violation, and has discovered the error themselves, the upgrade does not apply and they may swap the card for a card with the morph ability in hand.

In this case, this upgrade does not apply, because we are not still in the game, so there is no corrective action we can take to offset this. The cards were there on the table by the time the game finished, and the player could have asked “hey, what are these cards?”

Nov. 15, 2019 04:11:35 AM

Martin Cuchet

France

Failure to reveal ... ?

I do not understand where the “Morph upgrade” applies to the situation. Is it because we hadn't see their front that we imply them to not have a morph ability ?

Nov. 15, 2019 05:02:43 AM

Julio Sosa
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

Hispanic America - South

Failure to reveal ... ?

Originally posted by Martin Cuchet:

I do not understand where the “Morph upgrade” applies to the situation. Is it because we hadn't see their front that we imply them to not have a morph ability ?

In this case, this upgrade does not apply, because we are not still in the game, so there is no corrective action we can take to offset this.

It does not apply. I only mentioned because of the context of Morph cards being in the middle of the ruling. Sorry if it created any confusion.

Nov. 15, 2019 06:54:05 AM

Martin Cuchet

France

Failure to reveal ... ?

So, there is nothing we can do to enforce rule 707.9 if it has been breached ?

Nov. 15, 2019 07:09:33 AM

Francesco Scialpi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

Failure to reveal ... ?

Originally posted by Martin Cuchet:

So, there is nothing we can do to enforce rule 707.9 if it has been breached ?

IPG 2.3 “If the set of cards that contained the problem no longer exists, there is no remedy to be applied.”

Nov. 15, 2019 07:50:58 AM

Dustin De Leeuw
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), L3 Panel Lead, Tournament Organizer

BeNeLux

Failure to reveal ... ?

We can still educate the morph player that they should have revealed the card at the end of the game, and we can ask them politely if they want to reveal the identity of the card they just played. We can't enforce it, but most players will be happy to comply with such a reasonable request.