Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: Tool - Displaying pairings on a screen

Tool - Displaying pairings on a screen

Sept. 10, 2013 05:23:05 PM

Gregory De Bonis
Brazil

Hello!

Last PR we faced a tough situation: almost 100 players and no printer. We had a big screen connected to the computer, but WER's interface required about 4 scrolls to show everyone where to sit.

Since this can happen to anybody (never trust a printer, EVER), I put together a simple webtool to display pairings. Maybe some of you might find it useful.

If you want to try it, all you have to do is export a WER event (as a .wer file) and upload it there, and it shows a kind of nice table for each round. It probably has a few bugs, and I'd love to hear your feedback.

Here it is: http://wer.herokuapp.com.

Thanks!

Sept. 10, 2013 05:38:55 PM

Nick Rutkowski
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

You can use RTools to display the pairings on a monitor. you can find RTools on the Wiki.

http://wiki.magicjudges.org/en/w/Scorekeeping_Resources

Sept. 11, 2013 03:49:28 AM

Juan Francisco Montiel Aragon
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Iberia

And you can print in a PDF printer and display the PDF file.

Sept. 12, 2013 11:04:02 AM

Gregory De Bonis
Brazil

Originally posted by Nick Rutkowski:

You can use RTools to display the pairings on a monitor. you can find RTools on the Wiki.

That's great, I didn't know about it!

But in said tournament we were tied to a Guest account on the PC and had no means to install any software/set up a PDF printer (yeah, I did try that).

So a browser-based solution would be ideal for our specific case, and that's why I made it this way. :)

Sept. 12, 2013 12:56:58 PM

Jordan Baker
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - North

Originally posted by Gregory De Bonis:

Nick Rutkowski

That's great, I didn't know about it!

But in said tournament we were tied to a Guest account on the PC and had no means to install any software/set up a PDF printer (yeah, I did try that).

So a browser-based solution would be ideal for our specific case, and that's why I made it this way. :)

The application is a self-executable; (no installer) it does require Java, but I _think_ that outside of Java, it would work without authentication. (I'm not too familiar with Windows UAC…)

A browser-based display module is also on the works on this end. (as an extension to PlayerLink web pairings) You'd need to still run the executable on the same machine that the tournament is being run on, but that computer doesn't need to be the one that is displaying the information.

Sept. 18, 2013 11:19:14 AM

Thomas Ralph
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Is this a violation of the WER EULA?

Sept. 18, 2013 11:28:09 PM

Gregory De Bonis
Brazil

Originally posted by Thomas Ralph:

I'm pretty sure it's not.

WER EULA
3. RESTRICTIONS AND LIMITATIONS
You agree not to modify, adapt or translate the Software. You also agree not to reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Software or assist a third party in doing so. You may not rent, lease, sublicense, distribute or lend the Software. This Agreement does not grant you any rights in connection with any trademarks, copyright or service marks of Wizards. You agree that you are solely responsible for the security of your information, computer system, network connectivity and security, and any and all activities related to or resulting from the use of the Software.

The .wer file is just a XML file containing the tournament data. It's not source code.
All I do is parse and display that information (which is not even stored in the server, of course).

Sept. 18, 2013 11:51:01 PM

Jordan Baker
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - North

Originally posted by Thomas Ralph:

I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be, so I can't answer this directly. (and I know my opinion on this would be misconstrued, so I'm not writing it down here either)

I'll say, though, as the developer and from my “I've never been in touch with WotC directly about this program” perspective, today, WotC does not have issue with the functionality the software I wrote has, and I do not foresee it becoming one in the immediate future.

There's a lot I'm leaving out in that statement. There's a lot of interesting first- and second-hand history with the development of this program, but I don't want to even start. (for lots of reasons; one day, it might become an interesting article to write…)

Edited Jordan Baker (Sept. 18, 2013 11:52:26 PM)