Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: A few questions about detrimental triggers

A few questions about detrimental triggers

Oct. 19, 2013 08:11:02 PM

Daniel Pareja
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Both of these have actually come up in games I've played at tournaments (at Regular), but since they could come up at Competitive, I'm wondering how they'd be handled there.

1. My opponent controls Duskmantle Seer, but after untapping goes to draw a card, forgetting about the Seer. How should things proceed from this point? What penalties could potentially be issued? (At Regular I just reminded my opponent about it before he drew and we proceeded to resolve the ability.)

2. I play Akroan Horse and give it to my opponent. Whose responsibility is it to remember its triggers, and who would get Warnings for GPE-Missed Trigger (or other GPEs) should its triggers be missed? (At Regular I just put the tokens on the table.)

Oct. 19, 2013 08:34:46 PM

Peter Richmond
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - Northwest

1. This is actually a hard scenario to realistically visualize, as your opponent reaching for the top card of his library could be either attempting to resolve said trigger or attempting to draw a card (unless he explicitly said something like “draw”). However, if your opponent ever forgets a triggered ability, call a judge.

2. When it comes down to its Beginning of Upkeep ability, It is your opponent's responsibility. He controls the Akroan Horse and, as such, controls the abilities that trigger off of it. As such, he would receive any relevant penalties for forgetting triggers.

Oct. 19, 2013 10:05:18 PM

Toby Hazes
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

BeNeLux

1. Like Dark Confidant, the ability of Duskmantle Seer is not generally detrimental, so handle it like you would handle any forgotten beneficial trigger (so no penalties). Unless you feel the player is deliberately forgetting it, in which case you'll have to investigate for cheating.

Of course the opponent still gets to choose whether to still resolve the ability or not.

Edited Toby Hazes (Oct. 19, 2013 10:06:44 PM)

Oct. 20, 2013 01:57:49 AM

Daniel Pareja
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Originally posted by Peter Richmond:

2. When it comes down to its Beginning of Upkeep ability, It is your opponent's responsibility. He controls the Akroan Horse and, as such, controls the abilities that trigger off of it. As such, he would receive any relevant penalties for forgetting triggers.

I know that per policy the triggers are my opponent's triggers. However, this could lead to a deck in which one win condition is giving my opponent a Horse, then calling a judge on his missed triggers (since it's a lot harder to remember triggers of cards you didn't play than those of cards you did, especially when they're detrimental for you) and winning once my opponent accrues enough Warnings to get them upgraded to a Game Loss.

Oct. 20, 2013 02:30:17 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

At Pro Tour Theros, newly enshrined Hall of Famer William Jensen drafted that nefarious horse. He confirmed with me, before his next match, that those triggers would indeed be his opponent's responsibility. None of the three opponents got an upgraded MT/GL penalty; I can only assume that the first MT Warning was sufficient.

And, to be fair, that is EXACTLY what we want Warnings to do - teach or remind players to play correctly.

Oct. 20, 2013 02:45:29 AM

Daniel Pareja
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

At Pro Tour Theros, newly enshrined Hall of Famer William Jensen drafted that nefarious horse. He confirmed with me, before his next match, that those triggers would indeed be his opponent's responsibility. None of the three opponents got an upgraded MT/GL penalty; I can only assume that the first MT Warning was sufficient.

And, to be fair, that is EXACTLY what we want Warnings to do - teach or remind players to play correctly.

Thank you. I was concerned since the idea (using the Horse to get your opponents Warnings) seemed to exploit policy in a way that I had thought was generally considered undesirable.

Oct. 20, 2013 03:06:05 AM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

The recipient of the horse is also still allowed to put an object on top of their library in order to remind themselves that there is something that they need to do before they draw for the turn :)

Oct. 20, 2013 03:27:56 AM

Daniel Pareja
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Originally posted by Kim Warren:

The recipient of the horse is also still allowed to put an object on top of their library in order to remind themselves that there is something that they need to do before they draw for the turn :)

Which, being an avid player of Obzedat, Ghost Council, is probably what I would do.

Thank you all for the advice and answers.