Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Article Discussion » Post: Cultivating Your Community

Cultivating Your Community

Oct. 29, 2013 07:56:51 AM

Evan Cherry
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

This thread is for discussing the article Cultivating Your Community by Angus Davis.

Oct. 29, 2013 12:33:36 PM

Adam Zakreski
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

I really like the idea of pushing for more competitive events. It hadn't occurred to me that it would help curb overly competitive behaviour at FNM.

Also I like the idea of carrying around a casual deck for duelling new players. I'm going to try to pick up those 5 free common/uncommon intro decks that have been floating around a few years. That way if a new player wants to try it out, I can lay out 5 decks, explain the colours and say, “Choose your weapon!”

Oct. 29, 2013 12:41:29 PM

Colleen Nelson
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Southwest

Another good technique is to have decks of varying formats, so you can always jam a game with someone no matter what format they're into. When a player comes in looking for other modern players and can't find any, that's a good way to make them want to leave.

Oct. 29, 2013 01:00:14 PM

Paul Baranay
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry)), Grand Prix Head Judge

USA - Northeast

I personally have started carrying around the latest Duel Deck (Heroes versus Monsters) as my go-to for playing with new or returning players. It's more complicated than an intro deck, but the decks are fairly balanced against each other.

Great article!