Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: Comfy shoes

Comfy shoes

Nov. 3, 2013 12:18:31 AM

Aaron Huntsman
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

Comfy shoes

Been wearing Saucony for general walking/running for the last year. Just picked up the Echelon which is all black leather. No complaints so far. I'd been wearing J&Ms which are quite comfortable for dress shoes, but the new ones will hold up a little better in the big grindy events.

Dec. 14, 2013 04:10:07 AM

Kenny Koornneef
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

BeNeLux

Comfy shoes

Ecco

Dec. 16, 2013 04:35:10 AM

Joe Lau
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

Greater China

Comfy shoes

Totally agree with Toby.
Merrell's Jungle Moc is very comfortable and convenient.

Dec. 16, 2013 10:44:57 AM

Nick Rutkowski
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

Comfy shoes

I am currently looking at Dansko shoes. I know many nurses who swear by them and they're on their feet everyday all day.

they seem to make men's and women's shoes.

http://www.dansko.com/

Dec. 16, 2013 11:32:33 PM

Bernd Buldt
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

Comfy shoes

Originally posted by Nick Rutkowski:

nurses who swear by them
Like they do by the equally clunky Birkenstock clogs; great shoes, though.

Dec. 17, 2013 01:14:03 AM

Jona Bemindt
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

BeNeLux

Comfy shoes

I'm going to agree with the military parade dress shoes. I still use my pairs from when I was in the military, and they are made for exactly that, running around and standing up for long time periods while still maintaining comfort. As stated, they do need to be polished though.

Feb. 3, 2014 03:27:48 AM

Simon Cooper
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

USA - Northeast

Comfy shoes

Originally posted by Kenny Koornneef:

ecco
Same for me. I own like 7+ pairs, and they're reliable enough for me to buy them on ebay, size 43 and they'll always fit just fine.

I also find that with any multi day (3+ days) event, it's well worth taking a second pair of shoes along. just swapping from one to the other can be very refreshing.

Feb. 7, 2014 01:27:29 PM

Thomas Ralph
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Comfy shoes

Rockport makes a line of shoes in partnership with Adidas which are incredibly comfortable for long-term use.

Feb. 7, 2014 02:30:37 PM

Brian Dombroski
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

Comfy shoes

Any shoe will do, but the trick is the insert. “Superfeet” inserts are a little pricier than most ($40ish the last time I checked). At first, it feels like you are stepping on a ball-bearing- but when your feet get used to the support, then you can be on your feet forever. I have a pair of $10 black shoes with these inserts, and my feet don't bother me after 3 days of a GP. You can usually find the inserts online, but I have also found them at REI.

Feb. 7, 2014 02:55:45 PM

Ryan Hoffman
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

USA - Southeast

Comfy shoes

I agree with the comment about inserts being extremely important.
Currently, I'm using http://www.footlevelers.com/ and they've been my
favorite so far. Pricey, but worth the comfort, imo.

April 7, 2014 08:06:47 PM

Sarah Hayashi
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

Comfy shoes

I realize this isn't specifically shoes, but I feel it fits with the footwear theme: Wrightsocks. They're double layer, sweat wicking, blister proof socks and they're amazing. I wear them to every archaeological dig I go on and have never had blisters or heat rashes once. I highly recommend them for a long day or days of standing and walking around!

Sept. 12, 2014 12:09:20 AM

Michael Warme
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Midatlantic

Comfy shoes

I'll chip in with some scouting based advice from summers working at camp–get a pair of nice silk liner socks, with an outer pair of wool-bottom-silk panel ankle socks. They're hard to find and a bit pricey, but it basically ensures you'll never get a blister and if your shoes fit at all they'll cushion you just as well as an insert, while still breathing well thanks to the silk (or mesh) panel on the ankle socks.

April 21, 2015 10:37:20 AM

Yu Win Yew
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Southeast Asia

Comfy shoes

I just got a pair of Skechers GoWalk 3 and it's comfortable enough to help my feet sustain 2 full days of GP which is conducted on hard ground hall

April 21, 2015 12:59:58 PM

Angus Davis
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Comfy shoes

I've started leaning towards workplace safety shoes, they provide excellent support and are designed specifically for spending long periods of time on hard surfaces while still keep comfort in mind.

April 22, 2015 05:29:24 AM

Andrea Mondani
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), Scorekeeper

Italy and Malta

Comfy shoes

I wear New Balance 574 everyday (and have been doing so for the last 10 years), usually white, so, looking for tournament shoes I just bought the black border version of the same model :>