Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Story Circle + Colored Manlands

Story Circle + Colored Manlands

Dec. 10, 2013 10:18:13 AM

Lyle Waldman
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

I'm not sure if this goes in Rules Q&A or in Judging Technology, but I think a FAQ entry is missing. This sort of situation is usually covered in the FAQ or on Gatherer, especially when related cards are in the same set, but in this case it's not.

I am specifically referring to the interaction between Story Circle and colored manlands (such as Treetop Village). Example scenario:

AP controls a Treetop Village. NAP controls a Story Circle naming “green”. AP casts Stone Rain targeting NAP's only untapped source of white mana. Can NAP activate Story Circle targeting AP's non-creature Treetop Village?

I'm like 99.9% sure the answer is “no”, since Treetop Village is not a green permanent at that point and Story Circle says “a source of the chosen color”, but I can't find a reference for this rule in any of the FAQs that Story Circle was printed in (MMQ, 9e, 10e) nor on Gatherer, nor in CR (602.8b being the closest thing I could find that fits even remotely, and the fit is very bad).

Can this be added somewhere in the docs? Thanks.

Edited Lyle Waldman (Dec. 10, 2013 10:18:58 AM)

Dec. 12, 2013 12:29:19 PM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

This rule covers the case:

109.2c If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes the word “source,” it means a source matching that description—either a source of an ability or a source of damage—in any zone.

The source has to match the description at the time it's chosen, hence you can't choose an un-animated manland for Story Circle.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep