Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Sideboard Question

Sideboard Question

Jan. 29, 2014 10:59:11 AM

Cris Plyler
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Central

Sideboard Question

Is the number of cards in a players sideboard derived or private information? I know that the number of objects in a zone is derived information, but the sideboard is outside the game so that doesn't seem to fit. Also I know that during the pregame procedure the player can count their opponents sideboard. What I don't know is if it's legal for a player to count their opponents sideboard during a game.

I thought a question like this was asked before, but I couldn't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Cris Plyler

Jan. 29, 2014 11:09:20 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Sideboard Question

Originally posted by MTR 3.15:

Before each game begins, players must present their sideboard (if any) face down and, if requested, allow their opponents to count the number of cards in their sideboard. Players are not required to reveal how many cards they have swapped from their main deck to their sideboard.
What that doesn't tell us is what can happen during a game. I'll ping a few folks, see what the ‘O’fficial consensus comes up with.

Jan. 29, 2014 11:46:28 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Sideboard Question

Number of cards in a sideboard should be considered Derived Information; that will be more clearly stated in a future version of the MTR.