Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Scry + Effects that reveal the top card of the library

Scry + Effects that reveal the top card of the library

Feb. 18, 2014 09:55:48 AM

Todd Bussey
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Alphonse has Courser of Kruphix.

Alphonse scrys two cards via Magma Jet

Does the Courser effect keep the top card revealed the entire time the scry effect is occurring?

With respect to 401.7, if I put the same card back on top of the libary, is it a new game object?

I'm thinking it should be because there would be no way for my opponent to verify that it is in fact the same card particularly if both cards I look at during the scry have the same name and I can switch their order and it would be a new card and they wouldn't be entitled to that information per this ruling (http://apps.magicjudges.org/forum/topic/7181/)
or am I overlooking something?

There are cards like Skill Borrower that care about the interaction.

Edited Todd Bussey (Feb. 18, 2014 09:57:11 AM)

Feb. 19, 2014 12:02:03 PM

Daniel Kitachewsky
Judge (Uncertified)

France

While scrying, the cards are still in the library (even though when playing the physical game they're most likely being manipulated away from the physical library). The top card doesn't change when you look at the top 2 cards.

The second part of scrying is putting the cards back. As you do whenever you put back several cards into your library at the same time, you choose the order but don't reveal it to the other players.

The top card is revealed before the card movement and after it, but not during (since for the rules the movement is atomic).

Since cards have been manipulated and the opponent can't tell that the same physical card has been put on top, the top card is a new object.

Daniel Kitachewsky
L3, Paris, France
Rules NetRep

• Index
  • » Rules Q&A
  • » Scry + Effects that reveal the top card of the library