Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Concede in response to request for free information

Concede in response to request for free information

Feb. 28, 2014 02:18:44 PM

Ian Groombridge
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

This question came up on a deckbuilding website I frequent and I offered to pass it up the chain. Here is the scenario:

In game 1, Abel has nearly milled Nora out. Abel requests the contents Nora's graveyard, wanting to know what he is facing. In response, Nora concedes. Abel calls a judge.

Has any violation occurred here, and if so what is the necessary remedy? Does this change whether or not Nora has started shuffling her graveyard into her deck? Although I am asking at Competitive REL, what is the solution at Regular?

Thank you for any help on this issue.

Feb. 28, 2014 02:29:29 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

This needs to go in a general FAQ - maybe a Judge Wiki article? - because it does get asked quite frequently.

No, this is not an infraction; players may concede at any time, and can do so in exactly this sort of scenario, for exactly this sort of reason. An even more common variant involves things like a Mindslaver lock, or a Bribery that can't be countered - players will simply concede, rather than let the opponent see cards that are (so far) secret tech.

The only thing “faster” than a concession is “the Elbow of Justice” - i.e., a player can't concede fast enough to avoid being assessed an infraction and the corresponding penalty. Even Split Second isn't as “fast” as a concession.

d:^D