Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Global Announcements » Post: Thanks to Eli Shiffrin

Thanks to Eli Shiffrin

March 27, 2014 08:55:39 AM

Christopher Richter
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - North

Thanks to Eli Shiffrin

One of the things I get to do as the L3 coordinator is announce and welcome new L3s. With that comes the other side where I do have to announce to the program that an L3 is stopping down. But this isn’t a bad thing, and if anything I think that the program as a whole can and should make this a celebration of sorts. We all go through changes in our lives when the time and energy we devote the the judge program will also have to change. Being able to recognize that and make the hard choice to step back is actually an admirable quality.

Having said that, I must then say that earlier this week I received an email from Eli Shiffrin, a long time and active L3, saying that he will be stepping down as L3. Eli has been quite busy as a judge and in the Magic community for some times now. Many of you may have never met him, but have interacted with him via his online efforts to teach the rules. Eli has also been quite active behind the scenes with the creation of the rules themselves. But El has somewhat recently moved and taken on a new job. As part of that he does not have as much time to dedicate to the judge program as he used to.

Here’s some comments from Eli:

Originally posted by Eli Shiffrin:

As work gets busier, I have less and less time to give to judging. Keeping up with the time commitment required of L3 isn't something I can do anymore, so it's time for me to step down. I'll still be involved with the game for the foreseeable future in all of the other ways I am, including Cranial Insertion - and I'll probably show up at a big events sometime just because.

I also asked around for a bit and got some other other thanks from a few other judges. here’s what L3 and longtime netrep and moderator the the Magic Rules lists Daniel Kitachewsky had to say about Eli:

Daniel Kitachewsky
Over the years and to this day, Eli has been an extremely precious source of rules insight. Almost everything I know about rules that isn't in the CompRules comes from him. As you may know, I'm the Rules NetRep, but most of my answers are first cross-checked by a group of rules gurus. Eli is the most prominent and knowledgeable member of these. No matter the time, he'd always reply quickly. His wit is also matched by few, which makes discussion with him particularly pleasant. Although Eli doesn't have the time to be an L3 judge anymore, I look forward to continuing our cooperation.

Some words from L4 Jurgen Baert,

Jurgen Baert
Eli was one of the people always on IRC back when that was my main source of information and training. I've learned a ton from him as I am sure others did.

And finally from L5 Scott Marshal,

Scott Marshal
Eli Shiffrin has long been a voice of reason in the midst of rules insanity, and he's brought that same level of calm, in person, to events.  I've always been happy to see his name on “my” staff lists, and not just because I know he'll help answer the really tough rules questions, but because I know he'll provide exceptional service to players, judges, and TO staff alike.  I'm also happy to see him at events, because I consider him a long-time friend.  Come visit us again soon, Eli!

Remember that Eli will still be somewhat involved with the judge program, the rules and the game in general. But feel free to thank him for his exemplary efforts. He recently said to me he expected his Facebook wall to explode with comments, lets make that come true.

Thanks again Eli.

-Chris

Edited Jeremie Granat (March 27, 2014 09:56:59 AM)