Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Gameplay before the round has started.

Gameplay before the round has started.

May 26, 2014 05:17:02 PM

Thomas Ralph
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Originally posted by Mart Leuvering:

If the event were Sealed Deck, how would you handle someone who ripped open his boosters prematurely?

Ask him to put his cards face down until the time started.

May 28, 2014 05:18:26 AM

Emilien Wild
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge

BeNeLux

If the event is Sealed Deck with a deck swap, I don't mind at all players opening and sorting the cards early.

May 28, 2014 05:39:12 AM

Jack Doyle

Emilien - surely not at Competitive REL? Chances are you're announcing some things while product and lists are being handed out - players opening boosters prematurely means that they're not listening to you, and gaining more time than others to perform the registration step.

May 28, 2014 06:35:46 AM

Kim Warren
Judge (Uncertified)

Originally posted by Jack Doyle:

Emilien - surely not at Competitive REL? Chances are you're announcing some things while product and lists are being handed out - players opening boosters prematurely means that they're not listening to you, and gaining more time than others to perform the registration step.

When there is a deck swap, what advantage to players get by opening their boosters and starting registration early?

The players who are opening their boosters early were probably already not listening to you, which is how this situation arose in the first place ;)

May 28, 2014 06:55:35 AM

Jack Doyle

Fair. The only thing I'd be worried about is the cascade effect of one guy opening his boosters causes the rest of the table to start doing it - but you're not exactly wrong that those players are more than likely not listening anyway.

May 28, 2014 10:33:28 AM

Emilien Wild
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), Grand Prix Head Judge

BeNeLux

Neither player meeting nor pool registration and deck swap are fun, so I try to keep them as short as possible so we can move quickly to the exciting parts of the event. That also means that I try to break my player meeting into small parts, each of them contening only the informations needed to proceed to the next part of the event.

For example, people don't need to know the number of players, or rounds, or how I expect ingame communication to be held or latests IPG upgraded before cracking open their packs: they just need to know venue rules, plus how to sort, register and check, which should take 30s, so I usualy instruct my team to don't distribute packs before I finish. Then, as soon as a player get the product, I'm fine with him opening and sorting: he's actualy saving us time.

The rest of the annoucements could take place partialy before deck building, and the remaining part before the start of round one.