Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Article Discussion » Post: Aether Revolt New Set Digest

Aether Revolt New Set Digest

Jan. 25, 2017 04:35:11 PM

David Elden
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

USA - Great Lakes

This thread is for discussion of my latest article, the Aether Revolt New Set Digest. If you're struggling to keep up with all the updates, this article has everything you need all in one place in a fun question and answer format. Questions about new card interactions, rules changes, and policy updates are all in here, so take a look!

Jan. 25, 2017 09:43:26 PM

Robert Hinrichsen
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

Note: Sacrificing Ornithopter is part of the cost of playing the spell with the emerge mechanic . Accordingly, as discussed above, it’s not possible to tap Ornithopter to help pay for Abundant Maw with improvise.

(Emphasis mine)

I believe this is incorrect. As mentioned in your previous example with Incendiary Sabotage, costs can be paid in any order, and sacrificing a creature for an emerge spell is part of the alternative cost. You can therefore tap the Ornithopter for improvise first, and then sacrifice it for emerge second. Is this perhaps a typo?

Edited Robert Hinrichsen (Jan. 25, 2017 09:44:28 PM)

Jan. 26, 2017 02:49:14 PM

Ben Quasnitschka
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - South

Wondering about the Myr Battlesphere / Mechanized Production interaction- as you resolve the Aura's upkeep trigger, you create a token copy of Battlesphere, and the Battlesphere's ETB trigger triggers but waits to go on the stack until the next time a player gets priority. Then last part of the Aura's trigger checks to see if the 8 artifact condition has been met, and since the trigger creating the tokens hasn't gone on the stack, the player does Not win the game. Finally, the trigger from the token Battlesphere goes on the stack and, when it resolves, makes Myr tokens 5-8.

Am I getting that right?

Jan. 26, 2017 03:41:09 PM

David Elden

USA - Great Lakes

@Robert: Yes, this was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out.
@Ben: You are correct. I've revised the wording of the answer a bit to make this more clear.

Jan. 27, 2017 04:16:51 AM

Francesco Scialpi
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

I'm confused about the following question:

"Amy plays Perilous Predicament and Nicole sacrifices Scrap Trawler and Soul Net".

Nicole must sacrifice an artifact creature and a nonartifact creature … why does she sacrifice Soul Net?

Jan. 27, 2017 09:54:50 AM

David Elden

USA - Great Lakes

It would require a combination of (for example) Karn's Touch and Neurok Transmuter on Soul Net. I wanted a question where both permanents had leaves the battlefield abilities and at least one targeted something in the graveyard to show how they interact. Usually I'm pretty good at coming up with stuff like that, but I hit a mental block on this one, so I just went with it. If I can think of a pair that meets those criteria and requires less stretching, I'll rewrite the question.

Edited David Elden (Jan. 27, 2017 09:55:22 AM)

Jan. 27, 2017 01:35:01 PM

Bernie Hoelschen
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Northeast

Surprised there was no mention of Greenbelt Rampager and Panharmonicon being cast when you have zero or one energy, but other than that an interesting read. Thanks!

Jan. 27, 2017 01:52:57 PM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Originally posted by David Elden:

It would require a combination of (for example) Karn's Touch and Neurok Transmuter on Soul Net. I wanted a question where both permanents had leaves the battlefield abilities and at least one targeted something in the graveyard to show how they interact. Usually I'm pretty good at coming up with stuff like that, but I hit a mental block on this one, so I just went with it. If I can think of a pair that meets those criteria and requires less stretching, I'll rewrite the question.
Filigree Crawler and Dutiful Attendant should do it. :)

Jan. 27, 2017 03:29:49 PM

David Elden

USA - Great Lakes

@Bernie: I liked that question a lot. So much that I added it in.
@Callum: That's much cleaner than the cards I used. Edited.