Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Article Discussion » Post: Combat Shortcut - Flawed and Outdated

Combat Shortcut - Flawed and Outdated

Feb. 15, 2017 10:46:57 AM

Mark Mc Govern
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

I'm afraid I don't know enough about chess to be able to tell. I haven't played properly in about 20 years.

Feb. 15, 2017 11:49:47 AM

Flu Tschi
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

German-speaking countries

Originally posted by Mark Mc Govern:

I'm afraid I don't know enough about chess to be able to tell. I haven't played properly in about 20 years.

I am unsure if you troll me or not, but lets say you don't.

You really don't get what im saying?

Feb. 15, 2017 12:59:53 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Yes, Sandro, we might *taunt* our chess opponents in exactly that way, but I don't get the parallel with Magic. My initial reaction to your analogy was “then go play chess!” - and, to a point, that's valid. This discussion is about Magic, not chess, not poker, not even Magic Online.

I'd also like to point out, Wizards - Scott Larabee, specifically - acknowledged that the shortcut will, yet again, undergo review, and change will be considered.

This shortcut has been around for a long time, even longer than the the official list of shortcuts or the MTR. And it's been hammered on, over the years. I happen to know that another version was crafted, proposed, and rejected just within the last several months (i.e., post-vehicles). This isn't a policy created in a vacuum by judges in some ivory tower, far removed from reality; this is a cooperative effort among competitive (and good) players who also happen to be judges, involved with organized play, or part of Wizards R&D.

d:^D