Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: New way to translate cards

New way to translate cards

Sept. 2, 2019 07:43:36 AM

Tommy Lee
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Foundry))

USA - North

MTGManager app now has teamed up with an AR app and you can put a card in the camera and it will translate it instantly in AR.

There are a few options inside the app that you can change.

I have not tested to see if this shows oracle text.

here is a picture of a Chinese Sliver Hivelord ( if it shows up)

Sept. 3, 2019 04:16:45 AM

Isaac King
Judge (Uncertified)

Barriere, Canada

I would not trust any form of automated translation of Magic cards. Things like Google Translate already have serious problems with normal slang, let along Magic terminology.

And no, your picture is not visible.

Sept. 3, 2019 05:54:41 AM

Olle Liljefeldt
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Europe - North

Originally posted by Isaac King:

I would not trust any form of automated translation of Magic cards. Things like Google Translate already have serious problems with normal slang, let along Magic terminology.

And no, your picture is not visible.

True. But picture recognition is on the other hand very good. It does not need to translate. It need only to identify and search for the oracle text online.

How this application performs this task I do not know however. But I have seen quite some tools that captures a card with the camera and finds its pricing on a number of online trade sites. Finding its oracle text ought to be much easier.

Sept. 4, 2019 04:44:35 AM

Emmanuel Gutierrez
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program))

France

I used the MTG Manager and it appeared to do what Ollie described: recognize the picture of the card, and search for the Oracle Text on the official database.

It does *not* recognize the text on the card and performs a translation - at least that is not what it did when I used the app this summer in Asia.

This is pretty useful when you are seeing a lot of cards in a language you can't read.

Sept. 4, 2019 10:14:46 PM

Kyle Ryc
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Canada

I've had success with BigAR MTG over the past while. Pulls up a card by image recognition, and allows you to choose which language it outputs in.

Not sure if that helps…

Sept. 5, 2019 09:35:57 AM

Tommy Lee
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Foundry))

USA - North

Yes, I have tried it and its all image-based. Seems very useful for deck checks if you are unfamiliar with the card and it is not in English.

I am unsure if they will have a way where you can translate to anything other than English at this point.

side note it can pick out the art in alters, but it is touchy if too much of the art is covered.

picture link

Edited Tommy Lee (Sept. 5, 2019 09:38:18 AM)