Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Article Discussion » Post: JudgeApps Returns

JudgeApps Returns

Nov. 21, 2023 06:07:37 PM

Paul Baranay
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry)), Grand Prix Head Judge

USA - Northeast

JudgeApps Returns

I’m excited to reintroduce JudgeApps: the centralized community website for Magic: The Gathering judges, tournament organizers, and event staff worldwide.

Find our more in our full blog post, and feel free to ask questions here.

Nov. 22, 2023 06:21:24 AM

Johanna Virtanen
Judge (Level 3 (Magic Judges Finland)), L3 Panel Lead

Europe - North

JudgeApps Returns

Hey Paul,

About the syncing of level data: I did a search for Finnish judges on Judgeapps, and the results include many judges who are no longer Judge Academy members, still listed with their former level. Is this intended?

Nov. 22, 2023 02:51:48 PM

Daniel Crabtree
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - Central

JudgeApps Returns

Hello everyone. I became an official judge during the Judge Academy time. Nice to meet everyone!

Nov. 22, 2023 05:28:40 PM

Robert Langmaid
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Canada

JudgeApps Returns

So glad this is back.

So do we need to become members of Judge foundry. I am so confused as widzards hasn't mentioned foundry at all.

Nov. 22, 2023 07:05:53 PM

John Brian McCarthy
Forum Moderator

USA - Midatlantic

JudgeApps Returns

Hey Robert - Judge Foundry will be open for new members next Wednesday, and you can become a member then!

It's up to you to decide if you want to become a Judge Foundry member. As a member, you'll be able to vote in elections, get certified for new levels or skills, and show tournament organizers that you've been keeping your skills sharp. We don't have anything to announce with regard to Wizards at this time, but as soon as that changes, we won't be shy about letting folks know.

Nov. 30, 2023 12:44:37 PM

Kyle Ryc
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Canada

JudgeApps Returns

Originally posted by Johanna Virtanen:

Hey Paul,

About the syncing of level data: I did a search for Finnish judges on Judgeapps, and the results include many judges who are no longer Judge Academy members, still listed with their former level. Is this intended?

Have we processed a current-Academy level change into the system @Bearz? It doesn't look like it.

Nov. 30, 2023 01:05:57 PM

Paul Baranay
Forum Moderator

USA - Northeast

JudgeApps Returns

To answer both Johanna's and Kyle's questions together:

Originally posted by Johanna Virtanen:

It is currently the case that some people who are not active Judge Academy members will still show as Judge Academy members. The sync data is, for various reasons, fairly incomplete. I did not want to erroneously de-level someone who was still an actual judge. So while not the ideal state of affairs, it seemed better to err in the direction of still marking potentially inactive people as judges.

However, JudgeApps now has a more sophisticated system for keeping track of a user's level(s) over time and what certifying body they were part of. In the future, we will be contacting judges whose level information appears stale to inform them of this, and possibly take other actions. (There are multiple stakeholders to discuss before this happens, so I can't commit to a timeline just yet!)

Originally posted by Kyle Ryc:

Have we processed a current-Academy level change into the system @Bearz? It doesn't look like it.

At this point, I have done all that I can with the data that has been shared with JudgeApps. A judge whose information appears incorrect (e.g., shows as Uncertified but should be Level 1 under Judge Academy) should reach out to Account Assistance.