Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Timing on decision to cast a spell off cascade.

Timing on decision to cast a spell off cascade.

Sept. 29, 2015 07:53:52 AM

Hank Wiest
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - Northeast

At what point does one decide whether or not they are casting a spell revealed off cascade? I believe it's on resolution, but I'm not 100% sure. In any event, I have an example that I would like some clarification on:

Anson is playing Living End against Noah's Skred. Noah currently has a Boros Reckoner and a Relic of Progenitus on the field and one mana open. Anson casts Demonic Dread, targeting Boros Reckoner and begins to cascade. He flips cards until he reveals Living End, saying simply “Living End”. Noah responds by activating Relic of Progenitus. With the ability on the stack, Anson casts Violent Outburst and cascades into another Living End.

My question is, in this scenario, has Anson committed to casting the Living End off Demonic Dread (the first one he revealed), or can he still decide not to cast it. What if his comment upon reveal had been “Reveal Living End”?

ADDENDUM: I guess another question is by saying “Living End”, has he announced that he is casting it, or just confirming that is the card that cascade hit?

Edited Hank Wiest (Sept. 29, 2015 11:15:12 AM)

Oct. 2, 2015 02:26:21 PM

Nathan Long
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Hi Hank,

Since cascade doesn't give you a time frame to cast it, you cast it while the cascade trigger is resolving or not at all. They can't hold on to the spell and try to cast it at a later time. If they don't cast it while the cascade trigger is resolving, it ends up on the bottom of the library. So if they cascade into the End and don't put it on the bottom, it seems safe to say that they've chosen to cast the spell.

Nathan Long
Wizards.Com Boards NetRep