Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: WER issues with Windows 10

WER issues with Windows 10

Oct. 3, 2015 10:41:52 PM

Stephan Classen
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

So, has anyone else had any issue with the windows 10 upgrade? (Edit: With WER. Thanks Jeff).

I've tried on 2 laptops now, and the program just crashes, won't load.

Works fine on my desktop, though. Curious if there's any workaround, solution, etc.

Edited Stephan Classen (Oct. 19, 2015 07:01:52 PM)

Oct. 3, 2015 11:55:36 PM

Jeff S Higgins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

USA - Northwest

Assume we're talking about WER?

Oct. 4, 2015 02:45:14 AM

Bruno Matos
Judge (Uncertified)

Iberia

Sometimes you need to click on same task 2 or 3 times so that can work properly.

Oct. 4, 2015 04:44:37 PM

Stephan Classen

USA - Northwest

Yes, with WER. It works fine on Windows 8.1, 7, and windows 10 on my desktop, as stated, but won't even get past the initial start up screen on two different laptops now on Windows 10. Is there a program it needs that's 10 specific, perhaps?

Bruno, I've tried clicking multiple times, the program simply doesn't respond ever again. Any ideas?

Oct. 6, 2015 09:07:53 AM

Jean-François DURMONT
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

France

Are you sure that your OS on your laptop is udapted ?

Oct. 6, 2015 11:08:10 AM

Jordan Baker
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - North

If you're on a machine that doesn't have any important tournaments on it, can you try this:

1. Uninstall WER. If you download the WER installer and run it again, it should give you the option to remove it. Otherwise, the Programs and Features control panel should be able to get it uninstalled.

2. Inside this directory on your computer:

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\
(AppData is hidden - here's how to see it)

If it is there, rename the “Event Reporter” folder to something like “Event Reporter (old)”

3. Reinstall WER.

This could theoretically fix:
1. The WER install having issues.
2. The WER database being corrupt.

I'd recommend what Jean-Francois said as well - make sure your computer has all required and optional updates installed, just to eliminate the possibility of some random .NET installation not being on the machine.

One other thing to try, just for the sake of being thorough: right click on the tile or application in “All Apps” and select “Run As Administrator”; that would at least eliminate a possible permissions issue.

Oct. 6, 2015 11:27:25 AM

Dominik Chłobowski
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Canada

One habit that's saved me infinite issues with permissions and Windows
stupidity since XP is to install everything in a separate folder under C:\
instead of the default location. You could try that.

2015-10-06 12:09 GMT-04:00 Jordan Baker <

Oct. 17, 2015 04:54:32 AM

Ian Grainger
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Found the following link useful, though once WER has run a few times the issue returns.

There needs to be a fix for this issue with MS Net Framework v2

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/timeout-microsoftnetframeworkv2050727cscexe/cfcf144c-1d86-41e6-bdab-0b29dc140ed2?auth=1

Mr X

Oct. 19, 2015 07:05:21 PM

Stephan Classen

USA - Northwest

Hi Ian,

Interesting, do we know if WER is specifically hanging up because of ms .net Framework v2? I'm not “that” computer savvy to know which is relevant. What exactly does csc.exe have to do with it?

Jordan- tried the uninstalling- no luck.

Jean-Francois- The OS is as updated as the updater will allow. I've gone back to windows8.1 and it runs fine, and tried windows 10 again later, with still no luck.

Thanks.

Edited Stephan Classen (Oct. 19, 2015 07:07:46 PM)

Oct. 20, 2015 05:21:23 AM

Huw Morris
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

I'm thinking about buying a new laptop soon just to run WER. Has anyone experienced this issue on a new machine running Windows 10 with a new install of WER, or does it only happen when upgrading to 10 with WER already installed?

Oct. 20, 2015 01:47:53 PM

Josh Stansfield
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Southwest

I installed WER on my laptop that came with Windows 8 after it was updated to Windows 10. I had no problems with WER.

Oct. 21, 2015 04:00:03 AM

Zhaoben Xu
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Greater China

Have you tried enabling .NET Framework 3.5 feature in Windows 10? You could refer to http://www.guidingtech.com/12331/enable-net-framework-3-5-windows-8/

Interesting a WPN store flagged a similar problem and eventually solved by re-installing .NET Framework 3.5. Not sure which Windows it was on.