Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: Let's Not Scry About It - SILVER

Let's Not Scry About It - SILVER

Oct. 31, 2015 12:16:12 AM

Patrick Vorbroker
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Midatlantic

Welcome back once again to the Knowledge Pool! This scenario, created by Maria Zuyeva, is Silver. L2+ judges should wait until Saturday to contribute to the discussion.

The blog post for this scenario is here

You're the Head Judge of a Standard PPTQ. Norton calls you over, and tells you this story:

“Anton attacked this turn with his Abbot of Keral Keep and Avaricious Dragon, and played Titan's Strength on Abbot to deal lethal damage to me. I killed his Dragon with Gideon's Reproach. Titan's Strength resolved, but he forgot to scry. He just said ‘Go’ then we realized he forgot."

What do you do?

Oct. 31, 2015 12:49:48 AM

Robert Langmaid
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Canada

Under the latest version of IPG missing scry trigger is assuming scryed, and left card on top. No penelty. Have match continue.

Oct. 31, 2015 10:36:36 AM

Sebastian Holst
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

In my opinion it's not a trigger. It's part of the resolution of Titan’s Strength. So it's a GPE:GRV.

We have four possibilities to fix a GRV but scry isn't part of one of those fixes. Because of no possibilities to fix I perform a backup to the point where Titan's Strenght resolves (“Otherwise, a backup may be considered or the game state may be left as is.”). Anton gets a Warning.

Oct. 31, 2015 05:38:07 PM

Raymond Cheung
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

I would ask Anton if Norton's rendition of events is accurate. Assuming that he did say “Go,” after the spell's resolution and damage, it should be taken as a missed scry. Based on the most recent changes to the IPG, a missed scry is assumed to have been done and kept on top. No warning, no rewind.

EDIT: As others have stated, it is a change to the MTR, not IPG. Got to get my documents in order.

Edited Raymond Cheung (Nov. 2, 2015 06:14:27 PM)

Nov. 1, 2015 01:29:16 AM

Nathen Millbank
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northwest

The change wasn't to the IPG, it was to establish a standard tournament shortcut in the MTR:

Originally posted by MTR 4.2:

A player who does not Scry when instructed to is assumed to have chosen to leave the cards in the
same order.

Assuming that Anton agrees with Norton's version of events, Anton has committed no infraction. Instead he has resolved Titan's Strength correctly by giving his creature +3/+1, scrying, and returning the card to the top.

No infraction, no penalty, please keep playing.

Nov. 1, 2015 08:46:48 AM

Sebastian Holst
Judge (Uncertified)

German-speaking countries

Originally posted by Nathen Millbank:

MTR 4.2
A player who does not Scry when instructed to is assumed to have chosen to leave the cards in the
same order.

Nice to know.

Nov. 2, 2015 10:07:45 AM

Marc Shotter
Judge (Uncertified)

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

According to section 4.2 in the MTR a player who fails to scry is assumed to have left them in the same order; there is no penalty and play continues.

Nov. 5, 2015 12:57:50 AM

Patrick Vorbroker
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Midatlantic

Nicely done this week, everyone! Let's get straight to it:

At first, this situation appears to have a game play error, since Anton was instructed to scry and hasn't. However, the most recent MTR update gave us a new tournament shortcut that applies. How convenient!

MTR 4.2
A player who does not Scry when instructed to is assumed to have chosen to leave the cards in the same order.

Because that shortcut is in place, this scenario is actually quite simple: No infraction, no penalty, no fix. The sequence of actions is completely legal, and the players should be instructed to continue play from where they were.