Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Master Warcraft and Propaganda

Master Warcraft and Propaganda

Nov. 4, 2015 06:10:41 PM

Jacopo Strati
Judge (Level 5 (International Judge Program))

Italy and Malta

Hi everyone!

I was thinking about this situation, suggested me by a friend.
During AP's Beginning of Combat Step, NAP casts Master Warcraft.
During the Declare Attackers Step, AP is forced by NAP to attack with 3 of his creatures. But NAP is controlling a Propaganda, and AP calls a judge to know how to manage this situation. He has 6 untapped lands and he knows that he can not be forced to tap them and pay Propaganda's Ability. But what happens after he decides not to activate mana abilities? The game goes back to the first moment of the DAS, but here we go again. Is this a loop? How can we end it if rules CR.716.3 says that it's the AP that must make different game choices?
I think that's NAP should make a different choice (still applying CR 716.3), but I'd need a confirmation, I'm not sure about it. :)

Thanks for help!

Jacopo

Edited Jacopo Strati (Nov. 5, 2015 12:50:48 AM)

Nov. 10, 2015 01:36:47 PM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

The relevant part of the loop rules here is 716.5, which explains that players cannot be forced to take outside actions that aren't part of a loop in order to end that loop. In this case, that means that AP can't be forced to tap lands to end the loop.

Instead, it is NAP who must make different choices–they're going to have to either choose for nothing to attack (which will definitely be legal) or else communicate with the AP to figure out exactly what, if any, attacker configurations AP is willing to pay for.