Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Team Sealed and other sanctioned formats not covered in the MTR

Team Sealed and other sanctioned formats not covered in the MTR

March 18, 2016 02:15:04 PM

Rebecca Lawrence
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

While at GP DC, I happened to notice that neither the MTR nor the CR actually enumerates the mechanics of Team Sealed as a sanctioned format; what defines this?

To go a step further: What defines the Pro Tour?

I recognize that it may be as simple as “WotC runs these events, so they can sanction whatever they want”, but I'm curious how the structures in place are known and understood beyond word of mouth. Players walking into an individual event can read the Magic Tournament Rules and know exactly how their event is going to work, mechanically; the same is not true for these other methods.

March 18, 2016 02:21:06 PM

Jordan Baker
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Foundry)), Scorekeeper

USA - North

Most events at the Premier level have Fact Sheets, which detail any specific processes about how the tournament is operated under. The GPDC '16 fact sheet detailed all the specifics for DC.

March 18, 2016 02:25:39 PM

Charlotte Sable
Judge (Level 3 (Magic Judges Finland))

Europe - North

Rules for Team Sealed are found in section 8.6 of the MTR in addition to
the normal sealed rules in section 7.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016, 20:22 Jordan Baker <

March 18, 2016 02:54:19 PM

Rebecca Lawrence
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

The MTR talks about team composition, but says nothing about the mechanics of match structure; “first team to win two individual matches” is completely unknown.

The presence of fact sheets mostly answers my question, though notably, the fact sheet for DC doesn't mention the match structure either, except for after the T4 cut.

March 18, 2016 03:18:18 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

As others pointed out, the Fact Sheet for any premier event will provide necessary details not already in the MTR.

The bit about 2 wins deciding a match doesn't really need statement - it's just math; the team either wins or it doesn't, and 3-0, 2-1, 1-0-2, etc., doesn't change anything. (Tiebreakers for Team events should probably be listed, since that's what makes that math work.)

d:^D

P.S. - patience is a virtue, even for well-meaning folk who think answers need to be faster than the ‘O’fficial sources.