Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Judging Technology » Post: WER - Losing players wouldn't be dropped/eliminated during Top 8 playoff

WER - Losing players wouldn't be dropped/eliminated during Top 8 playoff

Jan. 6, 2014 06:34:23 PM

Zhaoben Xu
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

Greater China

I've been receiving a number of calls regarding this new symptom found in the latest WER. Not sure if this “bug” could be reproduced but the situations were sounded like:

1. Standard GPT tournaments (or tournaments in which top 8 playoff was paired according to standings)
2. Enter the match result for the first round in the playoff
3. Create the pairings for the next round and observe.

Instead of the expected outcome of dropping/eliminating 4 losing players, WER would still pair all 8 players in the playoff.

The current workaround I can think of (and instructed anyone who had called me about this problem) is to manually pair the players according to the playoff pairing algorithm and try to drop players during manual pairing.

Has similar problem occurred to you?

Jan. 6, 2014 07:08:28 PM

Dennis Xiao
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Southeast Asia

Yes, I encountered the same problem, performed the same actions, during last week's GPT.
In the same tournament, I also had the drop bug (Player dropped and no longer in the tournament, but with his results).

Jan. 6, 2014 07:19:00 PM

Chris Nowak
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Midatlantic

I ran into this problem as well. I think we ended up dropping the losing players and it paired the rest as expected though.

Jan. 7, 2014 03:28:14 AM

Francisco Rocha
Judge (Level 1 (International Judge Program))

Iberia

i Haved these problem in a GPT i droped the losing players paired the rest of the players

Jan. 7, 2014 06:41:07 AM

Jeff S Higgins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

USA - Northwest

I can also confirm this happened. Sealed GPT on 1/4.

Jan. 7, 2014 07:44:05 AM

David Miguel Garcia Lopez
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy)), Tournament Organizer

Iberia

Hi. I found the same error on a GPT with Top 4 playoff.
After the first eliminatory round, entered the results and made a new round, the program repeats the same pairings.
I used the button “victory by withdrawal's opponent” and made the final round. It appears to work.

Jan. 7, 2014 10:53:50 AM

Callum Milne
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

It happened at our GPT on the 4th as well. It gave us a good few minutes of trying to figure out if we'd somehow accidentally created a Swiss Top 8 before we worked around it by explicitly dropping the losing players when entering the match results.

Jan. 7, 2014 10:04:22 PM

Philip Adrian Pena
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

Southeast Asia

I've also encountered this problem last week, and I had posted a solution on our local judge group. In any case, I'll be sharing that solution here:

“When you try to drop a player from a tournament, please do not drop the player from the player list. If you need to drop players, please drop them from the rounds tab instead (where you input result entries) (you will have to drop the players manually via the check box then click the enter button from the results entry).

Apparently, if you drop players from the player list via WER, they disappear from the tournament itself. And trying to re-enter them back into the tournament can cause undesirable effects to the outcome of the tournament, such as the tournament being invalidated when you try to upload it, or non-existent players.

This is also a case where in you do top 8 playoffs. While WER drops all other players normally (you can see them as eliminated from the player list after top 8 began), but apparently, WER is not dropping players that are eliminated during top 8. So please make sure that when you enter results for top 8, manually drop the players from the rounds tab by checking their drop check box on the right side of their name below the results entry portion, and by clicking enter button (input the number of wins manually as well).”

March 11, 2014 05:17:29 AM

Matthew Turnbull
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

I, interestingly, did not have this problem when running the Canadian Magic Tour on March 8th. So I don't think it's doing it with all Top8s.

Is this problem somehow specific to GPTs?

Edited Matthew Turnbull (March 11, 2014 05:17:43 AM)

March 11, 2014 06:50:02 AM

Thomas Ralph
Judge (Level 3 (UK Magic Officials)), Scorekeeper

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

Nope, my GPT yesterday worked in the expected manner.

Could have been patched.

March 18, 2014 01:14:13 AM

Kwok Siang Neo
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Southeast Asia

I guessed it has been patched.
Theres a WER Update when I run the WER.
No problems on the GPT yesterday