Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Article Discussion » Post: The Feedback Process

The Feedback Process

Sept. 24, 2014 12:45:22 AM

Evan Cherry
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

The Feedback Process

This thread is for discussing the article The Feedback Process by David de la Iglesia.

Sept. 24, 2014 06:01:48 AM

Paul Baranay
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry)), Grand Prix Head Judge

USA - Northeast

The Feedback Process

Thanks for this wonderful article, DLI!

As David said in the article, Transcription of reviews is useful for two major reasons: providing written reminders of feedback, and helping Regional Coordinators and the L4+ Judges get a sense of what's going in their regions or the program as a whole.

I would like to add that Transcription is also critical for a third reason: level advancement. While this obviously only becomes relevant a couple of times for any one judge (if ever), it's nonetheless very important.

Reviews are now a bigger part of the L2 advancement process than ever before: L2 candidates not only have to write three reviews (instead of just one), but also need to receive a written recommendation from an L2+ judge. It's very helpful for these recommendation reviews to be entered in the Judge Center, so that they are guaranteed to be on-hand permanently and in a central location.

Reviews are also a critical part of the L3 advancement process. When a judge panels for L3, the reviews they have received are considered very carefully. When reviewing L2's, especially those who may be close to L3, I often find it helpful to state how a particular Observation or piece of Analysis relates to a specific L3 Quality. This is because placing your review in the context of a larger framework (such as the L3 Qualities) makes it easier for your subject to internalize your feedback and, hopefully, improve!

Sept. 24, 2014 06:10:51 PM

Juan Francisco Montiel Aragon
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

Iberia

The Feedback Process

I like the article, and i think the part of Analysis it's very interesting and important and usually it´s missed by people (me the first ^^').