Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Rules Q&A » Post: Simutaeneous loop into 'different' game states

Simutaeneous loop into 'different' game states

Jan. 4, 2015 06:43:02 PM

Hao Du
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

Greater China

Let's say that in a two-player Modern game, both player have achieved the combo of Archangel of Thune + Spike Feeder.
AP says ‘I want to gain a million life’, NAP says ‘OK, I want to gain ten million life’.

At this point, could AP suggest to activate Spike Feeder's ability again to gain more life than NAP has (say, a billion life)? I think the relevant rule should be:

716.3. Sometimes a loop can be fragmented, meaning that each player involved in the loop performs an independent action that results in the same game state being reached multiple times. If that happens, the active player (or, if the active player is not involved in the loop, the first player in turn order who is involved) must then make a different game choice so the loop does not continue.

I had a debate with other judges over this question; I believe that ‘AP has a million life, NAP has 10 million life’ and ‘AP has a billion life, NAP has 10 billion life’ are similar (although not same/identical) game states, and should be treated the same when determining whether 716.3 applies in this situation. But other judges can easily argue that these two are not ‘same game state’ because the life totals are different.

I want an official answer on this, thank you very much!

Regards,
Hao Du

Jan. 5, 2015 10:10:01 AM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

Sometimes you'll get players whose argument about such a loop becomes a loop of its own. Simply have each of them write a number on a piece of paper, then reveal those numbers - and then move on with the game. They are not allowed to continue to waste everyone's time by escalating their loop of responses to each others' loops… :(

d:^D