Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Article Discussion » Post: Investigations - The Search for Collateral Truths (Part 3)

Investigations - The Search for Collateral Truths (Part 3)

Jan. 13, 2015 03:00:06 PM

Evan Cherry
Forum Moderator
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - South

This thread is for discussing the article Investigations - The Search for Collateral Truths (Part 3) by Eric Shukan

Jan. 13, 2015 04:01:31 PM

Eric Shukan
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Northeast

Evan, thanks for all your help in editing and posting the 3 parts of The Search for Collateral Truths.

If anyone out there is interested in discussing these ideas, always feel free to post or else to contact me privately.

I hope these articles are both instructive and interesting for the readers.

Enjoy!

-Eric Shukan
Player Investigations Leader

Jan. 14, 2015 03:18:33 PM

Robert Hinrichsen
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry))

Canada

I particularly appreciated this excerpt from your second example:

If you are right now deciding whether to back up through the concession because of the GRV for failing to execute correctly the Vendilion Clique ability, then you have missed the possibility that Player A may have cheated by intentionally failing to remind Player B to draw a card for the Clique. That issue needs to be resolved first because that determines the infraction.

I imagine many judges would jump straight down the GRV path, and I think this highlights a problem with our approach to training judges on policy. Many of the resources we use to teach judges how to apply policy to various scenarios explicitly tell us to assume from the outset that no cheating has occurred (see notably the Knowledge Pool). In essence, they presuppose that a sufficient investigation has already taken place, and that we are convinced no players involved were cheating, but they don't go into the details of how this conclusion was reached. It would be very beneficial if we could develop a scenario-oriented resource which focused on training judges how to investigate, and I think these three articles are an excellent start.

Thanks for the enjoyable and informative read, Eric!

Jan. 15, 2015 09:49:43 AM

Hao Du
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), TLC

Greater China