Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Competitive REL » Post: Questions about IPG for future L2 testing

Questions about IPG for future L2 testing

Aug. 24, 2012 08:14:54 AM

Sebastian Bilodeau
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

I was just studying up on the IPG for future possible L2 testing, when I came across Outside Assistance. I just have a couple of questions which could use some clarification, assume at competitive REL:

1) If a spectator (enrolled or not) makes a statement about the game that would qualify as outside assistance, what do we do about the game? Do we just penalize the spectator accordingly whether they are enrolled or not?

2) If a spectator is enrolled in the tournament and he has already given his results in, then gives outside assistance, it still results in a match loss? I would assume so but I want to double check.

3) If a spectator is not enrolled, do we ask them to leave after the first instance of outside assistance?

I haven't personally had to deal with outside assistance and haven't heard anything from other judges on it, so any information would be helpful.

Aug. 24, 2012 10:20:43 AM

Martin Koehler
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

German-speaking countries

Originally posted by Sebastian Bilodeau:

I was just studying up on the IPG for future possible L2 testing, when I came across Outside Assistance. I just have a couple of questions which could use some clarification, assume at competitive REL:

1) If a spectator (enrolled or not) makes a statement about the game that would qualify as outside assistance, what do we do about the game? Do we just penalize the spectator accordingly whether they are enrolled or not?
Nothing (unless a player asked for the outside assistance of course). The players have done nothing wrong so we don't penalize them.

2) If a spectator is enrolled in the tournament and he has already given his results in, then gives outside assistance, it still results in a match loss? I would assume so but I want to double check.
Yes, but it results in a match loss in the next match they are playing in the tournament. We don't change the result of the match the already finished.

3) If a spectator is not enrolled, do we ask them to leave after the first instance of outside assistance?
The IPG says “may”. If you talk to the spectator and he realizes that this was wrong and you believe that he will be more careful in the future, I have no problem leaving him in the venue. If this is a least the second time he commits this error during the day, I much more likely to ask him to leave the venue. So, use your judgement :)

I haven't personally had to deal with outside assistance and haven't heard anything from other judges on it, so any information would be helpful.

Sept. 7, 2012 10:39:48 PM

George FitzGerald
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southeast

I pretty much agree with Martin's assessment.

For #3, that's really going to come down to how does the Player react. I had an OA situation at an FNM recently (granted, it's FNM and not Comp REL, but still applies) and he was completely mortified that he had done it and was apologizing profusely. I'm not going to ask that guy to leave.

If you feel there's a good chance that the player is going to create other problems by staying, then it may be better to ask him to leave, but then you could also be venturing into the territory of Aggressive Behavior anyways to get to that level of problems especially with a first time OA on the day. On a 2nd OA, I'd probably ask the player to leave no matter his attitude.