Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Global Announcements » Post: Changes to the L3 advancement process

Changes to the L3 advancement process

Sept. 21, 2012 06:31:20 PM

Jeff Morrow
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

Hey, all!

Over the summer, we worked on some changes to the L3 advancement process. You can find the new description of the process here:

http://wiki.internationalmagicjudges.net/index.php/The_Level_Three_Advancement_Process [wiki.internationalmagicjudges.net]

This new process is effective immediately.

Here's a summary of the important changes.

* The descriptions for each of the Qualities of Regional Judges are now much longer and more detailed. In particular, they now contain examples of “deficient” and “exemplary” candidates. Note that we do not expect new L3s to be exemplary–we just expect them to not be deficient. We hope that you will use these examples to accurately assess yourself and how close you are to what we expect a Regional Judge to be.

* Speaking of assessing yourself, we've changed the Candidacy Prerequisites slightly.

* You must be an L2 for at least a year.
* When considering L1s you've trained, we no longer care about whether or not you were actually the certifying judge.
* The self-review requirement now clarifies that you must assess yourself on ALL of the Qualities of Regional Judges.
* Your recommendation indicating success as a Grand Prix Team Lead must have come within the last 12 months.
* IMPORTANT: Your self-review must be written and separately approved by the Verification Committee before you begin requesting recommendations.
* Requests for recommendations must be made via email, must include your approved self-review and must cc your Regional Coordinator.

So, for those of you who want to apply for L3, please follow these steps:

1) Be an awesome L2 for at least a year. You may, of course, begin working on your non-recommendation prerequisites by writing reviews, HJing Competitive REL events, etc.

2) Write a detailed self-review covering ALL of the Qualities of Regional Judges.

3) Email your self-review to your Regional Coordinator and the Testing Manager (me). I will forward that self-review to the Verification Committee.

4) When you hear from the Verification Committee that your self-review has been approved, start requesting recommendations from other L3+ judges. When making a request, do so via email and cc your Regional Coordinator.

5) When the recommendations are all in the Judge Center and your prerequisites are all finished, send your application via email to your Regional Coordinator and the Testing Manager detailing how you have met all of the requirements.

As always, if you have any questions about the L3 advancement process, please ask them here or email me directly.

Finally, I would like to thank all of the judges who contributed to these process revisions:

Ben McDole
Adam Cetnerowski
Chris Richter
Damian Hiller
Edwin Zhang
Gavin Duggan
Gijsbert Hoogendijk
Matteo Callegari
Jurgen Baert
Kevin Desprez
Jason Reedy
Riccardo Tessitori
Richard Drijvers
Ryan Stapleton
Toby Elliott

Thanks, everyone!

Jeff Morrow
Testing Manager

Oct. 1, 2012 06:19:09 PM

Jeff Morrow
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southwest

Hi guys. One quick clarification to the new L3 Candidacy Prerequisites. There was a bit of confusion about the self-review. Specifically, there was confusion about whether each of the 12 Qualities of Regional Judges had to be analyzed under BOTH Strengths and Areas for Improvement.

You do not need to do this. You just need to make sure that your self-review talks about all 12 Qualities. If there are some that you think belong under both Strengths and Areas for Improvement, great. Go ahead and list them under both. But doing so is not required.

As usual, if you have any questions, ask me here or via private email. Thanks!

Jeff Morrow
Testing Manager