Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Knowledge Pool Scenarios » Post: The Mystery of the Temple of Mystery - SILVER

The Mystery of the Temple of Mystery - SILVER

March 13, 2015 05:45:56 PM

Federico Verdini
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program)), GP Team-Lead-in-Training

Hispanic America - South

So, I agree that the top card was not random. But should we not shuffle the randomized portion?
I think is best not to shuffle, since there's no revealed card to be shuffled, and the solution is cleaner and faster. But isn't that a little deviation from the documents?

March 14, 2015 12:24:46 AM

Eli Meyer
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by Federico Verdini:

So, I agree that the top card was not random. But should we not shuffle the randomized portion?
I think is best not to shuffle, since there's no revealed card to be shuffled, and the solution is cleaner and faster. But isn't that a little deviation from the documents?
I'd like an official answer here. The IPG actually explicitly indicates that we shuffle the random part of the deck which “may” contain the looked-at cards. But what's the point of shuffling a part of the deck that's already random and the no one has seen, just to put the flipped card right back on top?

March 14, 2015 02:36:46 AM

Marc DeArmond
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northwest

Though I am in no way an ‘O’fficial answer. I can tell you what the Annotated IPG says:

In addition to giving the Warning, you will need to shuffle the randomized portion of the library to “lose” the viewed cards in it, if they should be part of that random portion.

This reads to me that if they should be included in the random portion, you randomize. If not, you don't.

March 14, 2015 10:07:05 AM

Johannes Wagner
Judge (Level 2 (International Judge Program))

German-speaking countries

It's just a waste of time to randomize a randomized deck with no known positions of cards. We have a tournament to run and we want to finish the games during the round time, and we can save around 2 to 3 minutes there.

March 14, 2015 01:49:27 PM

Patrick Vorbroker
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper

USA - Midatlantic

As the Knowledge Pool team's answer indicates, in situations where implementing this fix would actually have no effect, all we do is make the judge program look silly by acting otherwise. We didn't see any cards from the portion that would be shuffled, so shuffling would only serve to use up time and would not improve the integrity of the game in any way. Explain to the players the normal fix and why you aren't applying it, then let them play.