Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Tournament Operations » Post: Question about judge shirts

Question about judge shirts

Dec. 5, 2012 02:48:55 PM

Brian Perry Jr.
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Great Lakes

I know you can pick one up if you go to a Grand Prix, even if you aren't scheduled to work at it. My question is if you can have someone else pick one up for you at your request. The reason why I ask is that my plans to attend GP Indy have fallen through and honestly I'm not sure when my next chance to hit a GP will be due to my limited travel ability.

Dec. 5, 2012 03:23:36 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

The actual supply of shirts provided at any event - GP or PT or whatever - varies. Of course, the Judge Program and Wizards and the Organizers all work together to try to correctly anticipate needs, in hopes of ensuring that every judge at a Grand Prix looks as professional as possible (i.e., in a properly-fitting judge shirt).

However, that also means that there are often no extra shirts to be had. So even showing up yourself, when you're not working, is not a certainty when it comes to acquiring a shirt. The focus is, appropriately, on maximizing the value re: Judge Program public image at the high visibility events.

Best bet: be selected to work a Grand Prix, and notify far in advance that you need a size ___ shirt.

Thanks - Scott M

Jan. 17, 2013 08:38:51 PM

George Roehr
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

Originally posted by Scott Marshall:

The actual supply of shirts provided at any event - GP or PT or whatever - varies. Of course, the Judge Program and Wizards and the Organizers all work together to try to correctly anticipate needs, in hopes of ensuring that every judge at a Grand Prix looks as professional as possible (i.e., in a properly-fitting judge shirt).

However, that also means that there are often no extra shirts to be had. So even showing up yourself, when you're not working, is not a certainty when it comes to acquiring a shirt. The focus is, appropriately, on maximizing the value re: Judge Program public image at the high visibility events.

Best bet: be selected to work a Grand Prix, and notify far in advance that you need a size ___ shirt.

Thanks - Scott M

Can we buy judge shirts somewhere? Getting selected for a GP at L1 is quite challenging and I would like to have one for my local events.

I would gladly buy one, if such a thing is possible.

Jan. 17, 2013 11:57:09 PM

Ben Quasnitschka
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Scorekeeper, Tournament Organizer

USA - South

I'd be interested as well. I'm hoping to be selected for one of the two GPs near me this year but that's nowhere near a certainty. I look forward to any information anyone has on this possibility.

Ben Quasnitschka
L1, DFW Texas

Jan. 18, 2013 01:12:04 AM

Sebastian Pękala
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Academy))

Europe - Central

Buying shirt is not possible, they're free. Contact your Regional Coordinator, he/she will do his/her best to help you. :)

Edited Sebastian Pękala (Jan. 18, 2013 01:12:52 AM)

Jan. 18, 2013 01:13:07 AM

Mark Brown
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy)), Regional Coordinator (Australia and New Zealand), Scorekeeper

Australia and New Zealand

As far as I know there are no plans for there to be any other way of obtaining judge shirts other than at events that are able to provide them.

I would recommend contacting your RC, talk to them about the possibility of getting some shirts for judges in your area, or checking with judges you know have been accepted for a GP to see if they can ask the TO/Judge coordinator about the possibility of picking up a judge shirt.

Jan. 18, 2013 05:14:45 PM

Rebecca Lawrence
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Midatlantic

I've seen pictures from some regions where they have shirts that are unique to their region for local events, as well; you can see an example on the Judge's Corner videos, like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgeHgzULU_s

Jan. 18, 2013 05:20:04 PM

George FitzGerald
Judge (Uncertified)

USA - Southeast

We started with the FLJudge polos about a year ago, probably late 2011 when
it was getting organized. These really are great shirts as a lot of us use
these as unofficial uniforms for events locally as well as when we go to
larger events. While we still try to use the Black Magic Judge shirts for
PTQs and other larger state level events, we use the polos as a back up if
someone doesn't have a shirt or we don't have enough extra shirts to go
around. The polos are really nice and classy and a good way to make an
alternative uniform within a community.

I will say that they can be a bit costly though as I think these polos have
run in the $40 range. They are some of the better quality ones like what
you see a lot of college football coaches wear now-a-days on the sidelines,
but it is worth it since they will hold up better and look better than
t-shirts.

-George FitzGerald
L2, Sarasota, FL

Jan. 21, 2013 01:15:37 PM

Roger Dunn
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northwest

I only judge locally, so I picked up a black, button-up shirt from a second-hand thrift store for $6. I also got a pair of black slacks for $8. Both have no lo logos, and aside from the old gum in the pant pocket, they've been a good wardrobe for judging. :)