Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Conceding the match, after you won it?

Conceding the match, after you won it?

Dec. 10, 2015 03:14:28 PM

Cristóbal Vigar Guerrero
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

Iberia

Hello everyone! This is ChristoffV from Spain giving you a tasty situation, here we go.

The course menu.
We are in a prerelease that actually is so big, (there's some places that this still hapening) situation that makes the prizes raise up. :D This situation bring some serious players to participate in the tournament, making sometimes strange or disturbing situations.

The main dish!

We are in the final round of tournament and you're watching table 3*, the players actually going to win minium and equal prizes don't even they win or lose. The match finish 2-1 but the player who won say to his oponent (whos playing his first prerelease actually) that he won 2-1, in other words, he is conceding the match intentionally after he won.

Why he did that?

You came to talk with the players, they sign the slip (some stores use them when the tournament is so big) and you tell them that is against the rules to put another result when you actually finish your match and there is a proof of that (in this case, you were there watching them).

First the newbie answer that he doesn't know about it and he isn't going to do it again, but in other hand, this other player doesn't care about it.
In his defense, he tells you that he is upset about his performance and that actually this result not give any other prize to him or his oponent. Even more, how this is the final round, the tournament has over and hes going home forgeting about this tournament.

What do you do in this case, assign him a sanction? Have a long chat about what he's doing?

As additional coment, he and some of his friends uses to do things like this and he has had this behaviour in other tournaments. The TO of this store and other judges had talk to him about this, but it seems that hasn't give any result.

Hoping to see what you can say about this fellas, read it, think it, support your answers and after that, I'll give you a nice comment about this.

Take care!

Dec. 10, 2015 03:34:05 PM

Dan Collins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

Hello everyone! This is ChristoffV from Spain giving you a tasty situation, here we go.

The course menu.
We are in a prerelease that actually is so big, (there's some places that this still hapening) situation that makes the prizes raise up. :D This situation bring some serious players to participate in the tournament, making sometimes strange or disturbing situations.

The main dish!

We are in the final round of tournament and you're watching table 3*, the players actually going to win minium and equal prizes don't even they win or lose. The match finish 2-1 but the player who won say to his oponent (whos playing his first prerelease actually) that he won 2-1, in other words, he is conceding the match intentionally after he won.

Why he did that?

You came to talk with the players, they sign the slip (some stores use them when the tournament is so big) and you tell them that is against the rules to put another result when you actually finish your match and there is a proof of that (in this case, you were there watching them).

First the newbie answer that he doesn't know about it and he isn't going to do it again, but in other hand, this other player doesn't care about it.
In his defense, he tells you that he is upset about his performance and that actually this result not give any other prize to him or his oponent. Even more, how this is the final round, the tournament has over and hes going home forgeting about this tournament.

What do you do in this case, assign him a sanction? Have a long chat about what he's doing?

As additional coment, he and some of his friends uses to do things like this and he has had this behaviour in other tournaments. The TO of this store and other judges had talk to him about this, but it seems that hasn't give any result.

Hoping to see what you can say about this fellas, read it, think it, support your answers and after that, I'll give you a nice comment about this.

Take care!

So, player A has won 2 games, player B has won 1 game, and player A wishes to concede the match to player B? He wishes to do so in the absence of any prize split or other agreement, and both players are entering the round with the same record?

In fact, this is completely legal. I don't know why you would believe that it is not, but the MTR 2.4 is here to help:

If a game or match is not completed, players may concede or mutually agree to a draw in that game or match. A match is considered complete once the result slip is filled out or, if match slips are not being used, a player leaves the table after game play is finished. Until that point, either player may concede to or draw with the other…

This is no less true by virtue of a judge having watched their match. In fact, we would not make a rule that says “players are allowed to do this thing *except* when a judge is nearby”, as this would make players resent rather than welcome the presence of judges near their matches.

Is there some other aspect to this scenario that I'm missing?

Edited Dan Collins (Dec. 10, 2015 03:39:41 PM)

Dec. 10, 2015 03:36:52 PM

Matt Marheine
Judge (Level 3 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northwest

Edit: Dan beat me to it…

A concession in that case looks totally fine to me. MTR 2.4:
If a game or match is not completed, players may concede or mutually agree to a draw in that game or match. A match is considered complete once the result slip is filled out or, if match slips are not being used, a player leaves the table after game play is finished. Until that point, either player may concede to or draw with the other, though if the conceding player won a game in the match, the match must be reported as 2-1.

Edited Matt Marheine (Dec. 10, 2015 03:37:38 PM)

Dec. 10, 2015 06:10:33 PM

Cristóbal Vigar Guerrero

Iberia

I talked with another judges and they told me that if a play has been played this is considered as a result, so finish a play 2-1 and say another result make me think about this.

But as the MTR say it, it's legal unless a 0-2 is reported instead a 1-2 in this situation but, okey, so i have to talk with some guys.

But in that situation that the player just to give you a headache fill with a 0-2 in the same movie?

Well, the comment is that I was in a similar situation during my training to lvl 1 some years ago and my final decision was leave it do that and talk with the TO who knew this player about this scene (the player refuse to talk to me and leaves the tournament after that)

Hoping to see more answers.

Dec. 10, 2015 06:15:20 PM

Dan Collins
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 5 (Judge Foundry))

USA - Northeast

I mean, if they report 2-0 instead of 2-1, and you know that both players
won at least one game, then just correct the result and let the players
know how it works. You can just let them know and correct the result on the
match slip and in WER.

Was there something else you were wondering about?

Dan

Dec. 10, 2015 07:04:19 PM

Cristóbal Vigar Guerrero

Iberia

Originally posted by Dan Collins:

I mean, if they report 2-0 instead of 2-1, and you know that both players
won at least one game, then just correct the result and let the players
know how it works. You can just let them know and correct the result on the
match slip and in WER.

Was there something else you were wondering about?

Dan

Nothing else Dan, thank you for your answer.

Dec. 10, 2015 08:43:21 PM

Lyle Waldman
Judge (Uncertified)

Canada

Yup, this is perfectly legal, as long as the slip is filled out 2-1 and not 2-0, and the concession was not given in exchange for any compensation.

Dec. 11, 2015 09:56:27 AM

Chris Wendelboe
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

USA - Northeast

An argument can be made that at the final moment of game 3, with a lethal attack incoming, that the player in the position of “about to win” has conceded to his opponent. This player never actually won the game, rather he just gave the appearance that he was about to win it.

Though I much prefer the argument provided by Dan Collins.

Dec. 11, 2015 02:40:17 PM

Evertjan van Veelen
BeNeLux

Conceding a match you won is not a rules-problem, however what I found
interesting is the player conceding out of spite:
>
>
In his defense, he tells you that he is upset about his performance and
that actually this result not give any other prize to him or his oponent.
Even more, how this is the final round, the tournament has over and hes
going home forgeting about this tournament.

What do you do in this case, assign him a sanction? Have a long chat about
what he's doing?

I would try to chat with the player about his unhappiness.

Is there something that can be done about it? Winning is nice, but a
pre-release is a very low-key event, for fun mostly. If the prizes get so
big that the serious players turn up, maybe prize-support should be
flatter: less packs to the winner, more to players that went 3-3.