Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Regular REL » Post: Intentionally not telling the scorekeeper that you're dropping

Intentionally not telling the scorekeeper that you're dropping

March 6, 2016 12:30:19 PM

Espen Skarsbø Olsen
Judge (Uncertified), Tournament Organizer

Europe - North

Hi.

A situation happened with another judge, and he asked me for help, but I can't really find a good answer.

Their LGS has a modern league running at Regular REL. Each tournament awards points in the league, and boosters for the players playing in the top8. “Adam” is playing in the tournament and after winning the last round he knows that he's in the top8, but he doesn't have the time to play the top8. So “Adam” leaved the tournamemt while not telling the scorekeeper that he's dropping, intentionally to get top8 prizes. How do you deal with this player?

The MTR has this text:
“Players that repeatedly and/or intentionally drop from tournaments without informing the scorekeepers of those events may be the subject of DCI penalties up to and including suspension”

March 6, 2016 12:37:57 PM

Scott Marshall
Forum Moderator
Judge (Level 4 (Judge Foundry)), Hall of Fame

USA - Northwest

This sounds like it needs to be addressed at the local level; it's unlikely to escalate to a point where the DCI will feel compelled to take action.

First of all, if I were organizing this league, I'd deny him credit for Top 8 if he doesn't play - and make sure everyone knows that's the rule.

Another approach - when you're ready to cut to top 8, do roll call of the top 8 players; if any of them are missing, or acknowledge that they can't stay and play, then let that spot pass down to 9th, etc.

And, if a player continues to hurt the events in order to “game the system”, ask him to consider other places to play. (That's polite speak for banning him from the store.) I would only do this after conversations with the player, so that he understands the negative effect(s) from his behavior; if the then acts, willfully and knowingly, to continue to have negative effects? I would conclude that I don't need his business.

d:^D

March 6, 2016 12:47:50 PM

Espen Skarsbø Olsen
Judge (Uncertified), Tournament Organizer

Europe - North

Just the answer I needed. Thank you!
6. mar. 2016 7.38 p.m. skrev “Scott Marshall” <
  • Index
  • » Regular REL
  • » Intentionally not telling the scorekeeper that you're dropping