Please keep the forum protocol in mind when posting.

Project Recruitment & Help Wanted » Post: Format Guide on the Judge Wiki

Format Guide on the Judge Wiki

March 10, 2016 05:39:15 AM

Lachlan Saunders
Judge (Level 2 (Judge Academy))

Australia and New Zealand

Hello friends,

I am about to embark on the task of updating and reworking the format guides found on the Judge Wiki (link: https://wiki.magicjudges.org/en/w/Formats).

I wanted to post here and see if anyone else here was keen in helping me in this task. It seems the guides and page are quite out of date and not updated regularly so I am planning to change that.

Thanks!
You can contact me through this thread or at my email to discuss!

March 10, 2016 06:30:00 AM

José Moreira
Judge (Level 1 (Judge Academy))

Iberia

Can you explain more or less in what will consist?

I might help

No dia quinta-feira, 10 de março de 2016, Lachlan Saunders <

March 10, 2016 06:38:07 AM

Marit Norderhaug Getz
Judge (Uncertified)

Europe - North

I'd like to help as well :)

March 10, 2016 06:38:22 AM

Cristóbal Vigar Guerrero
Judge (Uncertified), Scorekeeper

Iberia

I'll be glad to help you.

March 10, 2016 07:05:16 AM

Chris Wendelboe

USA - Northeast

I would also be willing to help.

March 10, 2016 07:13:50 AM

Christian Gawrilowicz
Judge (Level 3 (International Judge Program)), L3 Panel Lead

German-speaking countries

Ladies and gentlemen,

this is one of the mentioned guides: https://wiki.magicjudges.org/en/w/Standard
You can find all of them with this link:
https://wiki.magicjudges.org/en/w/Category:Format_Guide

Thank you for taking care of this again!

Cheers,

Christian

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Christopher Wendelboe
<forum-25430-d560@apps.magicjudges.org> wrote:

March 10, 2016 08:40:55 AM

Gareth Tanner

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

I would be interested in helping with this

March 10, 2016 12:42:18 PM

Eli Meyer

USA - Northeast

Funny you should mention, I actually just last week deleted Twin and AmuletBloom from the list of commonly played decks, since they had been sitting there for weeks post-banning :-)

March 10, 2016 01:45:46 PM

Cristóbal Vigar Guerrero

Iberia

I'll have a lot of things to do this weekend :D

March 10, 2016 06:07:15 PM

Lachlan Saunders

Thanks for all the responses!

Basically to go into more detail:

I want this to be a resource judges can use to refresh or learn about common interactions that come up in a format.
Information such as what the deck does strategy wise is not really relevant to rulings in my opinion and we should focus on the actual questions Judges could encounter as well as things to be on the look out for!

As my focus is mainly in Eternal formats I was planning on taking on Vintage and due to the workload involved, Limited.

I need someone to take on Standard, Modern and Legacy.

It seems as though the Missed trigger Guide by set is also out of date by C15, Origins, BFZ and OGW and the limited format guide has basically no information. As this is constantly changing and updating I am happy to take responsibility for it.

I also believe the extended and block constructed sections can be deleted as those formats do not exist any more.

We could also consider a brief format guide to Commander as this is becoming more and more popular at GPs and knowing about commander damage and such could be helpful.

March 11, 2016 08:34:40 AM

Gareth Tanner

United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa

I think having an overview of what a deck does, or at least it general game plan, is useful as it gives judges who will be watching the decks play out a rough idea of what to expect and a point to be able to tell if something might not be right with a deck.

I'm happy to work on the Modern side of things as it is my format of choice but I think with the number of judges volunteering there is room to make smallish teams to divide up the tasks.

March 11, 2016 11:13:35 AM

Cristóbal Vigar Guerrero

Iberia

I want to take Commander, but in this situation cani talk in general?, i mean not starting to pick “used” decks.

About rules in diferent tournaments, SCG, T&T, GP's, MKM Series for say some of them.

Talking about decks will be too much, actually there's too much decks out there. And they depends sometimes in what kind of cards are permitted or not.

March 11, 2016 04:00:54 PM

Lachlan Saunders

Originally posted by Cristóbal Vigar Guerrero:

I want to take Commander, but in this situation cani talk in general?, i mean not starting to pick “used” decks.

About rules in diferent tournaments, SCG, T&T, GP's, MKM Series for say some of them.

Talking about decks will be too much, actually there's too much decks out there. And they depends sometimes in what kind of cards are permitted or not.

I think just a broad overview of interactions would be fine. The format is too undefined and broad to really go into specifics.

March 11, 2016 04:03:30 PM

Lachlan Saunders

Originally posted by Gareth Tanner:

I think having an overview of what a deck does, or at least it general game plan, is useful as it gives judges who will be watching the decks play out a rough idea of what to expect and a point to be able to tell if something might not be right with a deck.

I'm happy to work on the Modern side of things as it is my format of choice but I think with the number of judges volunteering there is room to make smallish teams to divide up the tasks.

I agree with this sentiment if there's a combo or strong synergy in the deck but having information such as “this is a slow control deck that uses spot removal and counterspells” isn't useful to me observing a game. That has no helpful impact on my assessment for rules problems.

I agree. Do you want to handle modern and any judges that want to assist you with modern can contact you?

March 13, 2016 03:02:16 PM

Cristóbal Vigar Guerrero

Iberia

Updating page, still uploading information.
https://wiki.magicjudges.org/en/w/Commander

Multiplayer format done, during this week i'll work in duel commander.

Edited Cristóbal Vigar Guerrero (March 13, 2016 05:42:20 PM)